• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink Pastry Book-Pastry In Europe 2009

While the Escali is $30, here in the expensive UK, the supermarket target price for a digital scale is £10 (say $15 or $16).

What sort of publishing genius would think that there would be a steady demand for a book at $50 (each year) from people who had not already invested a tiny fraction of that for professionally essential equipment?

While you are at it, are you planning to re-write the recipes so that they ONLY use items that can be expected to be available in every US supermarket?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Escali scale link

that works this time.

RE: Book markets: I don't think the publisher should care if they have scales.

Over here where we have Art Culinaire at 59 bucks for 4 slim issues, bound like a book, an awesome series, and plenty of people buy it

2317/5000

Dan - my guess is about 40% recipes to 60% articles.  That's an interesting question because the articles will only get read once, but it is an annual book, so maybe that's okay.

And the recipes are mostly in metric.  I have only run into a couple of ingredients that I couldn't source, but it depends on your determination and access.  That shouldn't be a barrier however to buying the book if you're inclined.

Thanks for the insight. I guess my other big question would be if the recipes included are current fads, or if they will hold long term value. Whats the point in spending $100+ on a book that will not be useful in a few years?

And yes, skip the cups and spoons. Your audience for this book will not be happy with it.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I guess my other big question would be if the recipes included are current fads, or if they will hold long term value. Whats the point in spending $100+ on a book that will not be useful in a few years?

Any recipe has long term value if it's something you like. Fads really only apply if you're going to be using the recipes exclusively in a sales situation. Besides, in a few years you can do the current fads and be retro-cool. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The vast majority of the recipes are not fads, but current trends - big difference in my book, and it includes many classics. Also, remember, we've clarified that the book is only $100+ if you're a dummy like me. You should be paying around $59.