• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

.  She said the difference was not just about the great food, but also being helped through the process of ordering, getting commentary about what was being eaten... and where it came from and why it was cooked in a certain way... She said it was that which added so much more to the experience.

Suvir: The comments from your cookbook editor really ring true to me. I made a concerted effort before the meal to read your links and peruse a few cookbooks you reccomended but the added info, the clarifications and miscellaneous info you shared with each table, made it so much better.

I'd like to add my thanks to all of the volunteers who organized, and the great staff and chef's team that produced such a wonderful meal. And to single out Suvir, who, YES, is even MORE ADORABLE in person than in his picture.

Thank you. I initially regretted attending, because there was a surprise guest that I would not have chosen to meet, but then I would have missed such a wonderful feast. At the end of the night, I was very appreciative to have been there.

QUOTE (rstarobi @ Nov 21 2002, 02:44 PM)

I will say that the kulfi dessert came in a sauce that was absolutely wonderful. This sauce (particularly when not matched with the kulfi and just spooned into my gullet) zinged across my tongue and woke me up again as I was starting to nap after being bombarded with excellent course after excellent course.

What did you like about this dessrt and the sauce?

What worked for you?

The acidity of the sauce, while still having a nicely spiced flavor was what I really appreciated. I think you'd have to go back to the Bhel Poori to get a dish that was particularly sour (and my tastebuds tend to run towards sour) with the exception of the tamarind sauce that I could put onto everything. The sauce was also very light, which was a relief at the end of the meal. I couldn't bring myself to eat more than a bite or two of the Kheer, but I finished my entire bowl of Kulfi.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

The acidity of the sauce, while still having a nicely spiced flavor was what I really appreciated.  I think you'd have to go back to the Bhel Poori to get a dish that was particularly sour (and my tastebuds tend to run towards sour) with the exception of the tamarind sauce that I could put onto everything.  The sauce was also very light, which was a relief at the end of the meal.  I couldn't bring myself to eat more than a bite or two of the Kheer, but I finished my entire bowl of Kulfi.

And at around 1 AM this morning.., I asked the chef to give me a bowl of the soup and Kulfi. I too love it immensely. I got the idea from a dessert I had at JoJo many years ago. A citrus soup with vanilla icecream.

Tamarind chutney is one of my favorite condiments as well.:smile:

Not only spouses but spouses and child!  Are we the first  family that has attended an eGullet dinner?

In those narrow terms, yes Rosie, but I would be doing a disservice to my family if I didn't mention that the fruit of my loins made a brief appearance at the Official eGullet drinking session at Zum Schneider, and has attended more than one unofficial eGullet-type dinner. She may never recover from the sight of Nina eating the feet of a guinea pig. :wink:

Thanks for the information. I am happy to be in # 2 place. You are officially the first person to have their family at an eGullet event.

My parents joined Jason and myself at the NJ Italian Dinner. I think that was before the Zum Schneider lush-fest. :raz:

My parents joined Jason and myself at the NJ Italian Dinner. I think that was before the Zum Schneider lush-fest. :raz:

i was dining with my wife and mother-in-law and jason and jon lurie walked in. that was a long time ago. :blink:

Ah yes, but that was not an "official eGullet event" it was a dinner where eGullet folk happened upon one another. And I wasn't there. :raz:

And my grandparents were visiting from SF, my parents from India, my sister from Dallas and my aunt from London. They all joined me for the eGullet ADNY meal last fall (Steve Plotnicki was the sommelier who helped us order some of the best wines I have ever tasted). Oh.. that was from my novel.. fiction it was.... Sorry! :shock:

Edited by Suvir Saran (log)

Thank you. I initially regretted attending, because there was a  surprise guest that I would not have chosen to meet, but then I would have missed such a wonderful feast.  At the end of the night, I was very appreciative to have been there.

Kim, congratulations on being the first person to inject negativity and vitriol into an otherwise grateful and joyous thread. How about keeping those sentiments to yourself, or PM'ing them instead?

Thank you. I initially regretted attending, because there was a  surprise guest that I would not have chosen to meet, but then I would have missed such a wonderful feast.  At the end of the night, I was very appreciative to have been there.

Kim, congratulations on being the first person to inject negativity and vitriol into an otherwise grateful and joyous thread. How about keeping those sentiments to yourself, or PM'ing them instead?

I usually keep out of this kind of thing but I must concur, here.

Face to face and with wonderful food and drink everyone was gracious. Why not go with that.

Kim - I agree with Nina. Let this please be the end of this part of the discussion.

Everyone - In future, all eGullet members planning on attending eGullet events should publicly RSVP. The only people who should be able to RSVP anonymously are those guests that are attending with an eGullet member, like spouses, hence references like Mr. or Mrs. MemberName. Everyone should be able to make informed decisions when deciding to attend a publicly announced event.

[unsolicited advice] In addition, my preference when attending face-to-face events is to be gracious and welcoming to everyone, even if we are currently not getting along online. IMO, it makes for a more pleasant evening for everyone. That is all. :smile: [/unsolicited advice]

More pictures are coming soon. Do I need to link the images here, or is leaving them on the imagestation album acceptable?

Kim - I agree with Nina. Let this please be the end of this part of the discussion.

Everyone - In future, all eGullet members planning on attending eGullet events should publicly RSVP. The only people who should be able to RSVP anonymously are those guests that are attending with an eGullet member, like spouses, hence references like Mr. or Mrs. MemberName. Everyone should be able to make informed decisions when deciding to attend a publicly announced event.

[unsolicited advice] In addition, my preference when attending face-to-face events is to be gracious and welcoming to everyone, even if we are currently not getting along online. IMO, it makes for a more pleasant evening for everyone. That is all. :smile: [/unsolicited advice]

More pictures are coming soon. Do I need to link the images here, or is leaving them on the imagestation album acceptable?

Rachel,

When an eGullet function is open to all eGullet members then people should assume any member may be there. If they can't deal with that they shouldn't come.

Rachel,

When an eGullet function is open to all eGullet members then people should assume any member may be there. If they can't deal with that they shouldn't come.

Lets follow La Niña's advice and keep this stuff away from the thread and in PM land.

I do agree with Rachel.. and those that want to debate that issue.. please feel free to PM me as well.

Pictures and Pie please... :raz:

And again, my sincere thanks to every person that attended and those that wanted to but could not and those that attended in spirit for having kept this dinner a positive gathering of peoples and minds linked with eGullet. :smile:

Steve thanks for sharing your wine with those that shared some with me... It was a great Riesling. Care to share the name please. :smile:

I am happy to know that you and I both are Bhel Puri fans... Maybe I can bring it to an event and make lots of it for all of us... I could eat bowlfuls of just Bhel alone and be very sated. :rolleyes:

Stefany - I respectfully disagree. What is the point of publicly posting an RSVP list then? We could all just PM the organizer and they could post (or not) how many people are coming. I am not suggesting in any way that this be done. I feel that an RSVP list is a good thing and it is only polite to publicly acknowledge your intention to attend an event.

Suvir is right, this is not the place to debate this issue, so I'm done commenting about it here.

Actually I was Suvir's spouse last night.

Rachel - How about going the whole hog on that rule and say that anyone who doesn't know how to behave on a face to face basis shouldn't bother coming to these things? This whole business about an informed decision is pretty silly. If someone finds someone objectionable, they can specifically ask if that person is going to be there. But for that person to place the blame for their own inmaturity on lack of disclosure is pretty weak. There were a number of people there last night that I don't care for (a polite way to put it) but I was gracious to everyone I met.

In future, all eGullet members planning on attending eGullet events should publicly RSVP. The only people who should be able to RSVP anonymously are those guests that are attending with an eGullet member, like spouses, hence references like Mr. or Mrs. MemberName. **Everyone should be able to make informed decisions when deciding to attend a publicly announced event.**

:hmmm: Rachel -- Now that's an interesting policy. Assuming that Member K cares about which other members attend, Member K is not going to really know (if she is interested in avoiding another member) whether she will be able to do so, unless she is the last person to be added to a limited-capacity event. In that case, though, Member K would have to risk not getting in because somebody beat her to the last slot. Also, Member K would have to keep monitoring the site to see when the event is about to fill up. Even if she secured the last slot, there are sometimes cancellations and a member Member K wants to avoid might sign up for a later-freed-up-spot.

What Member K might be placing less emphasis on was how welcomed by other members the member she subjectively for some reason did not want to meet might have been. I did not attend the event, but I get the impression everybody else was glad to have every other member there.

It is one of the great things about eGullet that members really want to meet each other. Why can't a member show up at Diwan without prior announcement? If the quantity of food had been limited (as it was not, evidently), the member could have simply not eaten. Note that several members appear to have shown up announced. If Member K did not want to meet another member, she could have just stayed away from him and, after being introduced to him, not continued to speak with him.

Also, Rachel's proposed policy can impose harsh consequences on people in the event that prepayment without rebate is in place for the event, like Andy Lyne's event at Chez Bruce. Let's say Member T (no, not you, Tony) had to cancel at the last minute, but Member X has just arrived in town and all the other attendees (except Member K) subjectively welcome Member X. Well, Member X's attendance can save Member T having to pay without attending, and Member T should be able to substitute Member X.

How would Rachel's policy be imposed in the event that I was planning to bring a non-eGulleteer to an event and therefore reported my attendance with a guest, but get cancelled on by that person at the last minute. I call Nina, who had originally not been planning to attend that event, to replace my guest. Is that a violation because Nina was undisclosed as my guest? Do I have a right to change which guest I decide to bring to an eGullet event? Alternatively, what if I had reported I was attending with a guest and my guest turned out to be Nina? :hmmm:

There were a number of people there last night that I don't care for (a polite way to put it) but I was gracious to everyone I met.

he's telling the truth you know. steve shook my hand and even kissed me. personally, i think he way overcompensated for his disdain for me, but he's a good hugger so i can't complain.

Edited by tommy (log)

Back to the photos...Rachel...if it is not difficult (and I am totally ignorant in this area)...would you mind posting them here instead of imagestation?

Suvir...Three cheers for the incredible evening you provided for those lucky eGullet folk who got to attend. You have no idea how much I wish I could have been in attendance last night!!! I wish I could've extended my stay in the City to attend, but, life got in the way! I hope I will have better timing next time you arrange one of these adventures!

Back to the photos...Rachel...if it is not difficult (and I am totally ignorant in this area)...would you mind posting them here instead of imagestation?

Suvir...Three cheers for the incredible evening you provided for those lucky eGullet folk who got to attend. You have no idea how much I wish I could have been in attendance last night!!! I wish I could've extended my stay in the City to attend, but, life got in the way! I hope I will have better timing next time you arrange one of these adventures!

We should try and plan one around your visit... let us know in advance. Which you actually do... You are good about being organized.. Unlike some people I know. (Since CathyL would want to say you- Suvir, I must say so myself. I am the worst in terms of being organized).

It would be fun to meet with you again.. I had fun meeting you every so briefly at the smelly Cabrales tasting. :rolleyes:

Several other considerations relating to Rachel's policy:

-- There were at least two anonymous members on the RSVP list. Why couldn't the member Member K wanted to avoid have been one of them? If there were somebody she wanted to avoid, she should have worried about the two anonymous members.

-- How would Rachel's policy apply to drinks that members might share before the actual event? Or drinks that they might share afterwards? The reality is that, if a member wants to be sure not to see another member who sometimes attends eGullet events in the applicable geographic area, she should not be able to do that by means other than not attending the event herself.

-- How would Rachel's policy apply if an eGulleteer just showed up to say hello, and did not take in any food? She can't limit who shows up at a given physical location that is a restaurant, even if it has been reserved for eGullet.

-- Sometimes members from out of town do not know their exact schedules until the last minute, e.g., due to work constraints. Yet they still want to meet eGulleteers who were otherwise planning an event. Why shouldn't the out-of-towner be able to shown up unannounced? If an out-of-towner can show up unannounced, why can't an in-towner do so? Obviously, somebody showing up unannounced at a smaller event might risk not getting food, but there was no problem last night with respect to food.

-- When a SuperAmin shows up unannounced at an event, it would be rather unusual for a Moderator to suggest that pre-announcement was appropriate, no?

Apologies the above observation has to be in this thread, but I believe Rachel's policy has to be addressed and does not necessarily take into account countervailing considerations.

Edited by cabrales (log)

I was wondering all day what the Johnsons (Yvonne and g) really loved last night. As you left, the chef said to me that he was so happy to have had the gang of eGulleteers... And something about an English accent makes a puppy dog out of many of us Indians.. He was so happy. And your taking time to speak with him and ask him about his food made all the difference. He certainly went home very happy with the eGullet dinner. :smile: