• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

Has anyone been to Diwan since Hemant Mathur started working there? I just read the review in the Dining out section and it sounds like he's doing a great job...even though he is sorely missed at Tamarind...The shrimp dish in particular sounds like something I had at Tamarind...Any thoughts?

The shrimp dish is on the menu at Tamarind, with the same name. At Tamarind it tastes like what a French or American chef who know little about Indian food would cook, after reading a recipe, at Diwan, it tastes better than its Goan version.

Hemant's food is ethereal when good. And in its usual, it is excellent.

I'm surprised he only gave it 2 stars, I think it probably merits itself as the best indian restaurant in NYC as of right now.

What I am most impressed with Diwan is how the spices are perfectly in balance. In many Indian restaurants the spicing can be completely out of whack, and this can be very off putting.

The venison chop is sensational, and I'm not a big venison eater either. The crab appetizer with the papadum crust is also fucking brilliant, given that it is a non traditional offering.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Best in New York, definitely! The question is whether it's the best in North America. Vij's in Vancouver is the only competition on this continent, of the places I've sampled.

Stars are a funny business that have to do with much more than cuisine. Even though the Times says the star ratings are based mostly on food, it's actually impossible to move into the three- or four-star group without the non-food aspects also being in order. Perhaps Asimov was focused on the decor, wine list, level of service, etc., and found those not to be on the three-star level. That's just a guess, because I certainly think Diwan is serving three-star food. And at those prices for that level of cuisine, it's simply a great value.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Best in New York, definitely! The question is whether it's the best in North America. Vij's in Vancouver is the only competition on this continent, of the places I've sampled.

Stars are a funny business that have to do with much more than cuisine. Even though the Times says the star ratings are based mostly on food, it's actually impossible to move into the three- or four-star group without the non-food aspects also being in order. Perhaps Asimov was focused on the decor, wine list, level of service, etc., and found those not to be on the three-star level. That's just a guess, because I certainly think Diwan is serving three-star food. And at those prices for that level of cuisine, it's simply a great value.

Steven,

Thanks for saying what I said with too many words. You are so good with words. :smile:

I agree with you hundred percent. And I think the Asimov review was very fair.

I would have been shocked if they got more than 2. But also the food is undoubtedly the best Indian food in the US. But food alone cannot carry a restaurant to a 3 Star platform. I wish the owners were as lucky with wine, china and decor as they were in finding a great chef. But Alas, the chef is a kind man, generous to a fault. But the other things take money and great vision.. Maybe now, more restaurant owners from the Sub Continent can think of investing a little extra and finding themselves in the 3 Star world. It would be the next logical step.

By matter do you mean affect business? I think the answer to that is yes in most cases.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Do stars really matter ?

Anil,

You know better than that. I am sure most so called foodies would hardly know as many chefs or as many restaurants if it were not for reviews. And unfortunately even the best of us are swayed often by such trivial a point. Some would give it a moment or two, and others would cancel other reservations based on a review and stars assigned.

It was apparent at Tamarind last night. People did not want to be at the other previously reviewed and popular 2 star restaurants for now they had an "in" to the new rage as some pointed out. To others it was about following the chef of their favorite "2 Star" Indian restaurant.

And certainly business is affected BIG TIME.

Do they change the quality of food? No. Since as is apparent in this case, many feel that certainly the food here is at a level far higher to that of any 2 Star Indian restaurant... :wink:

I only hope that Diwan and its staff are prepared for the increased business and understand from a business stand point how crucial this next week or two can be. Proper handling of phone calls, professional hosting staff, adquate service staff and a smooth operation could give them new repeat customers. For the food alone is just so much, the package in totality is what most are looking for.

Wild Boar

At Diwan, Hemant prepares them well done. That is the traditional way Indians eat it at Hunting lodges and those rare homes where these chops are prepared. Well done, for boars carried kudies that need to be cooked...

He serves it alongside a apple chutney that is sweet, sour and spicy. Served lukewarm. The mint rice served on the side as a garnish is so fresh and exciting. Has never made it to an Indian restaurant menu before.

He finds it difficult to find good chops.. and when he does, it is an amazing dish.

Yes Hemant cooked at Bukhara in New Delhi. And yes Tandoori Pomfret is amazing. Pompano that we find here is good, but is not the same... many chefs are not happy using it...

Indian Oven on the UWS prepares it in the Tanoor using Pompano. One gets mixed inconsistent results.

Hemants food is superb. Took a friend visiting from India to Diwan tonight, and she (of great taste, notoriety and fame) was shocked that she had to travel several seas away to eat the best Tandoori food.

For the food alone is just so much, the package in totality is what most are looking for.

If they would serve me their tandoori lamb chops in the style of soup kitchen international, I would still be a very happy man :biggrin:

Seriously, the tandoori dishes are just extraordinary and as already mentioned, so are the shrimp and crab appetizers. There are a few items that probably should just be taken off the menu or executed with more care, like the Rogan Josh, which I tasted once to find cubes of very dry meat in an uninteresting sauce. I think the service is acceptable at these price levels, but Sivan says she finds their habit of only addressing her through me very annoying. I wonder how a single female diner would be treated.

M

For the food alone is just so much, the package in totality is what most are looking for.

If they would serve me their tandoori lamb chops in the style of soup kitchen international, I would still be a very happy man :biggrin:

Seriously, the tandoori dishes are just extraordinary and as already mentioned, so are the shrimp and crab appetizers. There are a few items that probably should just be taken off the menu or executed with more care, like the Rogan Josh, which I tasted once to find cubes of very dry meat in an uninteresting sauce. I think the service is acceptable at these price levels, but Sivan says she finds their habit of only addressing her through me very annoying. I wonder how a single female diner would be treated.

When were you there last?

How are the lamb chops served at th soup kitchen international? Or should I understand some colloquial information the name should evoke? :wink::rolleyes:

If you ate the shrimp and crab appetizers, you have been there recently. Cool! Tell us more..

Did you order Rogan Josh recently? And it had try cubes of lamb meat? What other dishes did you and your dining companion try? Please do thank Sivan on at least my behalf for that great observation... I have found that an annoying and perturbing sign in most Indian restaurants... The service staff addresses women too often through the male dining mates. I think it is more so for they lack the confidence... or who knows.. but this does need to be corrected... But you know, 10 days ago I sent two women friends and one of them has been going there for lunch and dinner ever since.... In fact she loves the service... But I have found myself reacting like Sivan.. Maybe when in a mixed group, they poorly choose a man to fuss over...What an interesting observation...

How are the lamb chops served at th soup kitchen international?  Or should I understand some colloquial information the name should evoke? :wink:  :rolleyes:

The service at Soup Kitchen International (a.k.a. the soup nazi) is best summarized by this sound bite (click)...to the best of my knowledge they do not serve lamb chops :smile:

We were there yesterday, surprisingly it was quite empty (although it was relatively busy during the week) and yes, I did sample the Rogan Josh (described as containing morrels (sic)) recently. Some dishes on the menu referred to a certain Suvir (do you know him by any chance? :wink: )

I think you may be right about the confidence issue...at Bukhara Grill on 49th st. they started out only adressing me, but now that they recognize us they refer to her directly.

Edit: By the way, Suvir, I'm not very familiar with Goan cooking, but the shrimp dish is not unlike a refined version of a Sri Lankan dish they often make with either shrimp or squid (I don't know the name), I think the same types of chilies are used.

M

How are the lamb chops served at th soup kitchen international?  Or should I understand some colloquial information the name should evoke? :wink:  :rolleyes:

The service at Soup Kitchen International (a.k.a. the soup nazi) is best summarized by this sound bite (click)...to the best of my knowledge they do not serve lamb chops :smile:

We were there yesterday, surprisingly it was quite empty (although it was relatively busy during the week) and yes, I did sample the Rogan Josh (described as containing morrels (sic)) recently. Some dishes on the menu referred to a certain Suvir (do you know him by any chance? :wink: )

I think you may be right about the confidence issue...at Bukhara Grill on 49th st. they started out only adressing me, but now that they recognize us they refer to her directly.

Edit: By the way, Suvir, I'm not very familiar with Goan cooking, but the shrimp dish is not unlike a refined version of a Sri Lankan dish they often make with either shrimp or squid (I don't know the name), I think the same types of chilies are used.

Did you try the Shrimp Balchao? I had made the sauce last night... I finished making it around 6 PM. I love that sauce... And yes I too have had a Sri Lankan version of it... But much hotter... How did you like the Balchao?

What else have you sampled there??? :wink::rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I didn't attend for real, but I stopped by for a few minutes to say hello and was humbled by the turnout. It's amazing to me what a force eGullet has become -- that we can fill entire dining rooms. I'm just starting this thread because I got home first, though. And now for what the others have to say . . .

Holy Moly Batman, there are real people behind all those poster names!! The meal was a feast, exceeding my expectations. Suvir, thank you for organizing an enjoyable experience, and to all who helped produce this event, kudos.

For all our squabbles, this is an extraordinary community of interesting and good people. What a delight!

I'm too looped to attempt a culinary description (Suvir's tomato chutney lived up to advance billings), so I will leave it to those more qualified. I'll just say yummy.

I’ll let someone with a menu give the blow by blow but the food was amazing. Some smug person, ahem, said to me that it was the very best Indian food he had ever eaten and I definitely concur.

The event itself was memorable in so many ways I can hardly wrap my head around it. Yvonne’s nametags were artfully done and looked very professional and best of all were clip-ons not stick-ons. Suzanne was Suzie-on-the-spot and organized the business end of things like a pro. Suvir took care of all of us like a mother hen. He never sat down to partake of the meal but kept serving, schmoozing and making sure we were all well looked after. Thank you so much, Suvir.

Everyone brought an overabundance of drinks and shared them generously, including Tommy, regardless of what Rosie says.

I don’t know, last night I was really pissed and tonight I’m feeling like Sally Fields. We are soooo great. Everyone associated with eGullet is exceptional and I feel very lucky to have ticked Jim Leff off during the fateful summer of 2001 just in time to be invited to join.

Take it away Nina, I mean La Nina(tilda).

Edited by stefanyb (log)

I am so full I can hardly type this.

It was a wonderful meal and a loverly evening (too much drink). Nice to be able to put some faces to names.

Survir and the chef and staff at Diwan where most hospitable.. And the quality and quantity of food was staggering.

Nice to meet everyone. Good night Gracie...

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Unfortunately I had to work....

And I'm still at work, as I post this (its 12:25 am). But I'm heading home in a few minutes.

The ironic thing is that Diwan is 5 blocks from the office and I couldn't, even though I tried mightily, COULDN'T get away for even a few minutes.

Joy...

Carry on,

SA