• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

That's because you have been eating Indian food in New Jersey  :raz:.

...which is what i ended up doing tonight, after reading some of this thread and drooling...a poor substitute, i'm sure, but i could not rise above the craving that the sight of those dishes inspired...needless to say, i am hitting Diwan, like, this weekend.... :smile:

thanks for sharing!

Suvir - is there a recipe for that Apple Cranberry Chutney on eGullet or elsewhere?

I'm thinking of making it for Thanksgiving.

Rachel I make it for Hemant once or twice a week. I made the batch you all ate last night around 4 PM. I can speak to you over the phone and share a recipe. I know I have it in my cookbook.. But it is slightly different from what I make for Hemant. It is very easy.. .and I never thought of it as anything out of the ordinary.. You are kind to think of adding it to your Thanksgiving meal... I would be more than delighted to walk you through the recipe and ingredient list... :smile:

That's because you have been eating Indian food in New Jersey  :raz:.

...which is what i ended up doing tonight, after reading some of this thread and drooling...a poor substitute, i'm sure, but i could not rise above the craving that the sight of those dishes inspired...needless to say, i am hitting Diwan, like, this weekend.... :smile:

thanks for sharing!

If you know what day you are going to Diwan... let me know.... And I can call and alert Hemant to your dinner date at Diwan... I am sure he can come out say hello and make sure your meal is just as special. I know Sundays are his day off... Do let me know... It will not be a big deal.. Or you can always call Diwan and ask to speak with Hemant Mathur and give my name as reference...

Rachel - If the wine you had was a Kabinett, it would be German and not Alsatian. German wines are ranked according to their level of sweetness. Alsatian wines are ranked according to when they were harvested. Usually there is a correlation between wines that are late harvested and sweetness. But it isn't necessarily the case and you will find late harvest Alsatian wines that are dry. But if you are referring to what you percieve the sugar level was in the Alsatian wine that you brought, that is something else.

Watch out for those Johnsons; they're troublemakers.

Are we speaking generically here or with regard to a specific Johnson?

Please note: this is intended to be a pun, not a reference to any person's or persons' johnsons. (In the current fractious milieu, one can't assume...) :biggrin:

Edited by jaybee (log)

Rachel - If the wine you had was a Kabinett, it would be German and not Alsatian. German wines are ranked according to their level of sweetness. Alsatian wines are ranked according to when they were harvested. Usually there is a correlation between wines that are late harvested and sweetness. But it isn't necessarily the case and you will find late harvest Alsatian wines that are dry. But if you are referring to what you percieve the sugar level was in the Alsatian wine that you brought, that is something else.

That's probably why I didn't know which sweetness level the wine I brought was :wink: it didn't say it on the bottle (or it did and I didn't recognize the phrase). Good to know.

Rosie from Noo Joisy, you are a pistol!  How great to meet you.  I would cross the river to dine with you in a NJ EG affair.  (As long as it isn't near Lodi or Paramus!, I mean let's not get too carried away)

:biggrin:

Check the NJ board. We are having lunch on Dec 2 at An American Grill in Randolph. All are welcome. E-mail me if you are interested in attending.

And a real plus about dining in NJ is that the parking is free and you don't get an $85 ticket like I did on Weds! :angry:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For the reasons cited above -- alcohol level, slight sweetness, I prefer cider to wine with Indian food. The bubbles are a plus, in my opinion. I brought Woodchuck cider the other night.

Well this is why champagne goes so well with most spicy foods. The combination of the acid and the carbonation cuts the heat. It works for everything from Indian to Thai, even Mexican. In fact when they were putting together the wine list for Blue Smoke, Danny Meyer did a tasting to see which wines went best with barbecue and champagne ended up being their first choice.

Not having a good stomach for it, I avoided the wines, but brought several beers instead. The only two I got around to drinking were "Maharaja" brought by Bklyneats, I think, and a Belgian, "St. Bernardus Abt. 12."

The Maharaja was a traditional lager. Unfortunately any flavor it had was completely overwhelmed by the food, turning it into alcoholic seltzer for all practical purposes. The Belgian ale on the other hand was flavorful enough to remain distinct from the food and provided a nice, dark, coriander spiced contrast to the food.

If anyone else had beers with the meal, please let me know how they went. I'm specifically interested in the Kriek beer that I brought, and how it went with things.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Charles, if you're still reading, I'm wondering if you're getting your GVs at Chambers Street Wines or at Crossroads, the two places (aside from Nancy's  of course of course) that I find to have well thought out GV choices (again, in the downtown area).

I got them at Chambers Street!- my favorite store in the city.

and of course I was working that night....awesome to see you all had a great time.

The menu looked great...and the photos...yowza!

Your absence was noted...and regretted.

What he said. :sad: Thanks for calling to let us know, though. You are a gentleman, no matter what anybody else says. :biggrin:

The thing that never ceases to AMAZE me is the fact that I work a grand total of 7-8 days a month as my full time schedule...and I have 35 paid vacation days...yet even WITH all that time off...I manage to miss so much good stuff I wanna do!

:blink:

WHO SAYS I AINT A GENTLEMAN???

I wanna commend their power of observation!

:cool:

Edited by nyfirepatrolchef (log)

I know through the end of January. Soon as I get a 2003 calendar I can keep going.

Im gonna need safe food....which we can discuss privately....these folks dont need to hear it again for the umpteenth time.

And its magdangonificent of you to do this on my behalf..es mucho appreciado....I promise not to wipe my mouth on the tablecloth.

Thats why god invented shirtsleeves.

I just wanted to add my belated thanks to Suvir, SuzanneF, Yvonne and everyone else who made this dinner such a great event. The food was a revelation and the company outstanding. I will be going back to Diwan at the first available opportunity.

So when’s the next one? :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega