• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

I don't see how my actions would warrant such a warning.

I know. But it's not necessary for you to understand, only for you to comply. End of discussion.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yankee fan? I hate the Yankees. And to think I poured him some wine!

I thought Jaybee's Kabinett was great. It was slightly sweet, just enough to offset the spiciness in the food. It had nice acid and stones. It isn't a thick and viscose wine like the Z-H I brought.  While I enjoyed that wine as a stand alone, it didn't pair with the food overall as well as the Kabinett. I have another bottle here. Maybe I will bring it to Diwan one night and we can get you and Hermant to tandoor some foie gras with Indian spices. The Z-H would be better with something fatty like that. I liked Charles's Nigl's but I think dry and acidic wines like those are better with Thai food or Chinese food then with Indian. And I can't forget La Nina's South African Sauvignon Blanc which was good enough for me to empty my glass.

That should be fun.. so I can finally taste more than a tear drop sized drop of that wine. :rolleyes:

I shall think of what I can make for you using Foie Gras... Lets do it... It will be fun.:smile:

the two delicious Nigls, one Gruner and one Privat?

These were 2001 Nigl's- The first was a Veltliner Privat, a "better" vineyard, and the second was his Gruner Veltliner- same grape. I mostly agree with Steve's wine assesment- the SB was a good start- The Nigl's were very good wines that were good, but not great with the food, the Kabinett was excellent, and while I love ZH's wines, I was disappointed in this one went with the food- I've also had better examples of the same wine form the same vintage.

overall, we drank very well.

"Thanks for your sweet posts. I was somewhat nervous about Rosie and you. I was hoping you would each find at least one thing that would make you happy.... Glad it was more than just one."

More than just one! I loved everything. It was the best Indian meal I have ever had and so different from the Indian food I have eaten in the past. My only regret is that I was so full by the time the meat came that I could only take small tastes and gave the leftovers for my daughter, the starving artist, to take home!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have noticed a trend between the NYC Indian dinner and the Austin egullet Indian dinner.

At both events there seem to be several guest who were not necessary attracted to the Indian menu, but only went to enjoy the company of fellow foodies. I know my wife and I had the mindset. Guided by such a knowledgeable and generous expert such as Suvir, many people have a new appreciation and enjoyment of Indian cuisine.

That's because you have been eating Indian food in New Jersey  :raz:.

You might be right on that one. Well--OK--you are right on that one. However, NJ has a very large Indian population and since it was never my favorite cuisine I haven't eaten at many Indian restaurants. As of last night NY wins for having the best Indian cuisine.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Okay - Charles and Steve both liked the Sauvignon Blanc I brought? I think I could die happy tonight...

Cabby, I wish you *had* come as an unnanounced participant...

More on my impressions of the food later. I'm cooking dinner!!! (yes, it is possible to be hungry again after last night...)

Edited by La Niña (log)

What other wines did people bring, and how were they with the food? I brought a Seghesio Zinfandel (Sonoma County, 2000) which was overpowered by the spinach/lentil patties, but worked all right with everything else, and quite well with the chops. Maybe my palate just had to adjust.

I'll add my thanks to the organizers of the dinner and especially to Suvir for cooking and describing what was in all the dishes, or I never would have had any idea what it was we were eating.

Not only were the principal foods tasty, but so were the sides, such as the green rice dish that came with the chops which was so good.

For all the tension some felt, I thought there was a lot of laughter, from people who were both intentionally and unintentionally funny. :raz:

After tasting all those dishes I don't know how I'm going to go back to an ordinary Indian restaurant again .... but then again I am still so full I am not sure when I'll be eating any food again.

I am so glad that I was able to make the list at the last minute. :cool:

I wasn't there so I've no one to thank. Except Rachel for posting the photographs of some truly amazing looking food.

Suvir. Wow.

tommy, I knew Steve P would be a good hugger.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Charles, if you're still reading, I'm wondering if you're getting your GVs at Chambers Street Wines or at Crossroads, the two places (aside from Nancy's of course of course) that I find to have well thought out GV choices (again, in the downtown area).

I brought a 1996 Alsatian Riesling, I believe it was a Kabinett (it had about that level of sweetness, but I didn't write it down and don't have the label. Someone talked about alcohol levels and their reaction with spicy foods. One of the reasons Rieslings go so well with the heat is that they have a very low alcohol level and therefore do not react as strongly as wines with higher levels. The other reason is the sweetness.

I have finished editing the Imagestation album, adding pictures of people too. If there is anyone who didn't manage to get out of frame and doesn't want their photo online, please PM me and I'll blur you out. I am going to work on adding the actual images to my first post on page 1 of this thread, so that they aren’t lost in the middle, so just click the 1 in the upper left hand corner of the thread to find them. They should be there in an hour or so.

Rachel, again, thanks. You do so well with this.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM