• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwan

Anu

i particularly enjoyed the shrimp, which i thought came with a wonderful and spicy sauce. some of the more hardcore chili-head types at the table laughed off my assertion that the dish was spicy. but it was.

the cauliflower were particularly delicious. i was surprised at how much flavor they had. i don't think i was alone when i thought that there was some meat hidden among the cauliflower, but there wasn't.

the chicken breast was quite delicious as well. if suvir has the time and feels comfortable addressing my every whim, perhaps he can explain how a lousy piece of chicken breast can remain so moist? the magic of the tandoor?

Edited by tommy (log)

the chicken breast was quite delicious as well.  if suvir has the time and feels comfortable addressing my every whim, perhaps he can explain how a lousy piece of chicken breast can remain so most?  the magic of the tandoor?

I dont understand your question... please explain. :rolleyes::unsure::wacko:

Especially the second from last sentence. :biggrin:

the chicken breast was quite delicious as well.  if suvir has the time and feels comfortable addressing my every whim, perhaps he can explain how a lousy piece of chicken breast can remain so most?  the magic of the tandoor?

moist moist. not most. :sad:

the chicken breast was quite delicious as well.  if suvir has the time and feels comfortable addressing my every whim, perhaps he can explain how a lousy piece of chicken breast can remain so most?  the magic of the tandoor?

moist moist. not most. :sad:

The chicken is marinated in a basil and hung yogurt pesto that is seasoned with ginger and garlic for 3-4 hours. It is cooked in the Tandoor at temperatures between 800?-1000?. It cooks very quickly and remains very moist. Most of Hemants tandoori foods are near perfectly cooked.

What next Tommy? :rolleyes:

So here I am, sitting in an Internet cafe in Greenwich Village with some time to spare, and I just had to post in here. I'm going to do a brief post now, but I'm going to give some more considered thoughts when I gate abck to the UK next week :rolleyes:

The main over-riding impression of the evening was the wonderfully gracious hospitatlity of Suvir and all the staff. This wasn't just "service with a smile", it was "home hospitality" in the true Indian tradition.

The second impression is the quality of the menu, which I can only describe as outstanding. Of course there were a couple of dishes which were "ordinary", and a couple that didn't quite come off, but the creative thought that went into designing the meal, and the sheer cooking quality of so many of the dishes, made this a genuinely memorable meal.

The third over-riding impression was the volume of food. Oh gosh, I was embarrassed not to be able to finish that venison chop at the end :wacko: and I just hate leaving good food :sad:

My nominations for the three most outstanding dishes of the evening were the Bhel Puri on Tawa, Lamb Chop (with Apple cranberry chutney and mint rice) and Karai Bhinidi (Crispy Okra), none of which I have experienced before, and which were all faultless in execution. I also loved the tamarind-based sauce (or chutney).

My one regret of the evening was that I didn't get to meet more of the eGullet family. I suppose that was inevitable given the huge turnout, so I guess I'll just have to get over here again for the next event :biggrin:

I know a huge amount of planning and thought went into making this happen. Suvir, of course, must get the lion's share of the ovation, but I'd also like to thank Yvonne for my lovely (still-life) avatared name badge (which I shall keep to remind me of a great evening) and Suzanne for so graciously suggesting to me that I hadn't paid my money :wink: and not even hinting that it was deliberate :laugh:

some of the more hardcore chili-head types at the table laughed off my assertion that the dish was spicy.  but it was.

Wuss! It was spicy, but it wasn't the "This is VERY spicy... let me get a sip of water while my eyes tear up" spicy that you made it out to be. :raz:

Personally, I loved the paneer, but I did think it was an odd pairing with the basil chicken (then again, what do I know about the Indian Holy Trinity?). The basil chicken was incredibly succulent and I wonder if the same quality could be present in a larger piece of chicken as well. The tomato chutney's flavor and heat were strong enough that it was a joy to eat all by itself!

I thought that the spiced potatos which accompanied the venison chop were delicious on their own, but when paired together with the venison on a single fork, the combination was outstanding. The same can be said for the apple/cranberry chutney with the lamb and wild boar chops (my personal favorite course for the evening)!

The ice cream served as dessert had a subtle and interesting texture about the outside. Of course, Tommy got no chance to experience this as I stole his dessert while he was away from the table (in retribution for the bread I never saw)! Again, :raz:

I've only had a few Indian meals prior to this one and I've had mixed feelings about the cuisine previously. However, I can honestly say that last night's meal was fabulous on so many levels and certainly a steal at $50. Thanks to all that made this happen and that includes everyone who put their time in on the front lines eating this fabulous food and providing the conversation for the evening!

Suvir, how would you say our experience at Diwan last night would compare to the experience of someone walking off the street?

edit: typo (and spelling)

Edited by 201 (log)

And I ought to thank and commend  those spouses that came... How nice of them.  It makes me so happy... (Pollyanna that I am).  But really, not many spouses can go through such a food obsessive meal and endear us foodie types... But all present last night (Alan who I met for my 3rd time) were most charming, encouraging and engaging in their own right.  What a treat to have made their acquaintance.  Thanks for coming... It is my hope that my thanks will be appropriately shared. :smile:

Not only spouses but spouses and child! Are we the first family that has attended an eGullet dinner?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I just remembered the generous help provided for all our benefit by rstarobi. He was very kind to help Suzanne distribute those beautiful tags made by the Johnsons. Thanks Rstarobi.  

You're welcome, Suvir - though the job was made easier by MHesse's kind assistance as well. I left right after the meal to get back to Westchester and didn't get a chance to say thank you for the wonderful experience.

I've eaten Indian food many, many times prior to this and never had a meal that even approached this one. I don't think I have too much to add, but I will say that the kulfi dessert came in a sauce that was absolutely wonderful. This sauce (particularly when not matched with the kulfi and just spooned into my gullet) zinged across my tongue and woke me up again as I was starting to nap after being bombarded with excellent course after excellent course.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Suvir, how would you say our experience at Diwan last night would compare to the experience of someone walking off the street?

I think the quality of the food would be the same.

As for the experience, I think we eGulleteers are largely very kind and affable in our person. And that would make a great deal of difference in the enjoyment of a meal.

My cookbook agent was at Diwan Tuesday night. She was being given a guided tour of the menu by me. She said it was the best Indian food she had eaten in the world. And she has eaten a lot of it. She said the difference was not just about the great food, but also being helped through the process of ordering, getting commentary about what was being eaten... and where it came from and why it was cooked in a certain way... She said it was that which added so much more to the experience.

When I go to Balthazar, which I love to go to for simple no-fuss meals with friends, I always have a grand time. Since they know me at the restaurant, we can come unannounced, get a great booth, usually at my favorite side of the restaurant and service that makes me feel like I am a king. My friends enjoy being there.. being pampered and spoiled and our food seems just perfect. But the same friends have gone back on their own and enjoyed good meals but never the same brilliance they have associated with it when I took them. I make this reference for I think one will always come back with an experience that is slightly different from the usual if you go with someone that has an in with the restaurant in any way.

But I have many Indian friends that have gone their on their own and come back and told me of great dining experiences.

Not only spouses but spouses and child!  Are we the first  family that has attended an eGullet dinner?

In those narrow terms, yes Rosie, but I would be doing a disservice to my family if I didn't mention that the fruit of my loins made a brief appearance at the Official eGullet drinking session at Zum Schneider, and has attended more than one unofficial eGullet-type dinner. She may never recover from the sight of Nina eating the feet of a guinea pig. :wink:

You're welcome, Suvir - though the job was made easier by MHesse's kind assistance as well.

Pigeon brain I truly am. Sorry! :sad:

MHesse was even kinder than they came across in our PM exchange earlier this year. Thanks for all your help.

Between all you volunteer helpers, my life was made all stress free. Thanks.

Well lets plan something.... Are there any fun Indian restaurants near where you live?:wink:

Fun??? Well, any restaurant has the potential to be fun, right? :wink: Now whether the quality is passable is another matter. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and here, well, we're pretty blind when it comes to Indian restaurants.

Sigh, again.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Not only spouses but spouses and child!  Are we the first  family that has attended an eGullet dinner?

In those narrow terms, yes Rosie, but I would be doing a disservice to my family if I didn't mention that the fruit of my loins made a brief appearance at the Official eGullet drinking session at Zum Schneider, and has attended more than one unofficial eGullet-type dinner. She may never recover from the sight of Nina eating the feet of a guinea pig. :wink:

Thanks for the information. I am happy to be in # 2 place. You are officially the first person to have their family at an eGullet event.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Fun???  Well, any restaurant has the potential to be fun, right?  :wink:  Now whether the quality is passable is another matter.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and here, well, we're pretty blind when it comes to Indian restaurants.

Sigh, again.

that hot dog stand at the tractor-pull place is kinda fun, no?

I will say that the kulfi dessert came in a sauce that was absolutely wonderful.  This sauce (particularly when not matched with the kulfi and just spooned into my gullet) zinged across my tongue and woke me up again as I was starting to nap after being bombarded with excellent course after excellent course.

What did you like about this dessrt and the sauce?

What worked for you?

To all who were unable to participate, for whatever reason: remember that Suvir has a cookbook coming out in the (near?) future, and some of the things we ate are in it. Buy the book, cook the food! :wink:

And Monica Bhide (formerly spicegirldc) also has a cookbook out or out soon. Not what we ate, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

Not only spouses but spouses and child!  Are we the first  family that has attended an eGullet dinner?

Thanks for the information. I am happy to be in # 2 place. You are officially the first person to have their family at an eGullet event.

And yours was officially my first eGullet family introduction.

Your daughter was so knowledgeable about India and Indian food... And of course about so many other things... Thanks for including her as part of your group... It was a treat to meet her. :smile:

Fun???  Well, any restaurant has the potential to be fun, right?  :wink:   Now whether the quality is passable is another matter.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and here, well, we're pretty blind when it comes to Indian restaurants.

Sigh, again.

that hot dog stand at the tractor-pull place is kinda fun, no?

Just because the town of Lizard Lick is less than 30 minutes away doesn't mean that we live in Red Neck, USA. Hell, you can even get Thai Pork Rinds here.

I apologize to those who may be upset that I've strayed from the thread. However, remember that we in the sticks have to live vicariously through your events!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Monica Bhide (formerly spicegirldc) also has a cookbook out or out soon.  Not what we ate, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

Her book is out. And I have it on my desk. A nice book to include to your library. Also easy to store. :smile:

Monica makes frequent contributions across the site, but to talk Indian food with her, check out the Indian forum.. you shall be able to see many of her posts there.