• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonbon Storage

Chocolot

This weekend, I was in Denver for the Colorado Chocolate Festival and had the honor of meeting our very own Desiderio (Vanessa). She is as beautiful as her chocolates!! She uses a molded plastic tray and folding stock boxes to store her chocolates. Looks very nice and easy to transport. Got me wondering what you all use. BTW she won the Grand Championship for her wonderful truffles.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

This weekend, I was in Denver for the Colorado Chocolate Festival and had the honor of meeting our very own Desiderio (Vanessa).  She is as beautiful as her chocolates!!  She uses a molded plastic tray and folding stock boxes to store her chocolates.  Looks very nice and easy to transport.  Got me wondering what you all use.  BTW she won the Grand Championship for her wonderful truffles.

Hooray for Desiderio! However, I imagine that you acquitted yourself very well also! :smile:

We just travelled across the continent...well almost :hmmm: ...from Utah to eastern Ontario bringing with us some couverture and bonbons. I put them in a plastic container with a container inside that container filled with ice each day. Not too cold...but not as hot as they would have gotten without the ice. All arrived home fine. :smile: (Which is not what happened in January going the other direction when the chocolate was not protected well enough. :sad: )

Now tell how you did, Ruth... :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use the airtight foodsaver boxes made for Zellers - their home brand called 'Truly'. I cut flexible plastic cutting boards from the dollar store into pieces to fit between the layers of chocolates so I don't waste parchment.

I did a course with Joanne Mogridge from Cocoa West on Bowen Island, and she demolded onto cardboard cutouts with a piece of that flexible foamy packaging material laid over it. So in order: filled mold, foamy material, cardboard. Once unmolded onto the protected cardboard, the whole thing went into a rubbermaid container. A piece of foamy material was used on top and then layering was done until the container was full. I liked the efficiency of it but I don't really like the seal of the rubbermaid containers for storage. I'll have to find something different in order to freeze like that. She used crumpled tissue paper to fill up any gaps before freezing. I'm not sure if she froze in those containers or not. I'll have to ask her one of these days...

There is a thread somewhere here showing Reynolds vacuum sealing baggies-ziplock ones. These can be frozen and save space. I do this. Ialso use plastic containers similar to Joanne with a cut out pice of baking paper in between layers. Cover all with some paper towel stuff- cheap kind and then I throw in a small packet of moisture absorbent packet, close and wrap in a few layers of saran wrap type wrap, fridge and if needed then freeze. Label each box of course.

I liked the efficiency of it [the rubbermaid container] but I don't really like the seal of the rubbermaid containers for storage.

Short question of clarification: you mean that the rubbermaid containers are not airtight?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There is a thread somewhere here showing Reynolds vacuum sealing baggies-ziplock ones. These can be frozen and save space. I do this. Ialso use plastic containers similar to Joanne with a cut out pice of baking paper in between layers. Cover all with some paper towel stuff- cheap kind and then I throw in a small  packet of moisture absorbent packet, close and wrap in a few layers of saran wrap type wrap, fridge and if needed then freeze. Label each box of course.

For home, I do this (except with a foodsaver) and stick in freezer.

For trips, I do this plus bubble wrap. I take the boxes with me and put in boxes there.

Edited by ejw50 (log)