• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goody Box from the States

If someone were to send you a 'goody box' of food items from the US, what would you like to have included? My daughter has an online friend in Australia who is sending her a box of Oz goods and wants to reciprocate. I thought of Virginia peanuts and barbeque sauce, but am really at a loss. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Not so sure about smoked salmon, but . . . is it Reese's Peanut Butter Cups . . . they always seem very USA to me sitting on this side of the world.

Edited to add: and I agree with your suggestion of a good BBQ sauce - also very American

Edited by gap (log)

I know for the longest time my sister had trouble getting Mexican food ingredients and would bring cans of chipotles en adobo back with her. Corn tortillas were also not to be had, but they would not make the trip I think.

I know for the longest time my sister had trouble getting Mexican food ingredients and would bring cans of chipotles en adobo back with her. Corn tortillas were also not to be had, but they would not make the trip I think.

You can buy canned corn tortillas. No, they're sure not as good as hot from the tortillaria ladies, but after you fry in a little hot oil, and dip into your salsa, they're perfectly workable if there's nothing else available.

Or, if the person is really interested in Mexican food, and is a fairly good cook, send a bag of masa and a tortilla press. Corn tortillas are really easy to make.

If you decide to go the BBQ route, let me recommend the fine products from these nice folks: Head Country BBQ.

I'd go with a couple of sauces and a rub.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

First, it sounds like we're talking someone younger, so what age are we looking at - I wouldn't send a smoked salmon to a 10 year old for example :)

I would look at some fun artisanal products. I like the idea of Fran's. Yoo hoo, Mexican food is well...Mexican. Apple butter from Indiana. Vosges chocolate bars - like the bacon bar. Doritos are very American...not sure if they are worldwide. Maybe think across the regions - some pralines from New Orleans, chocolate egg cream from Brooklyn, BBQ sauce from the Carolinas, etc.

Or, look at what is produced in your home town - surely there's something. We have a great green chile hot chocolate mix. And maybe a locally produced cook book from the Junior League or something.

Watch heat and the chocolates - pack very insulated.

And maybe a locally produced cook book from the Junior League or something.

The Junior League-type cookbook is a great idea. Maybe something like River Road Recipes. And then find one of the typical recipes, and send all the stuff to make it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You can get Reese's Peanut Butter cups here...

Arent they really expensive? I swapped with a foodblogger once. I sent various RPB( big cups, inside outs, mini's, etc) and she sent me many varieties of Tim Tams( which are now availble in the US and Canada)

And maybe a locally produced cook book from the Junior League or something.

The Junior League-type cookbook is a great idea. Maybe something like River Road Recipes. And then find one of the typical recipes, and send all the stuff to make it.

Send plastic measuring cups and spoons if you do cookbooks....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association