• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Petit Chavignol

SBonner

Au Petite Chavignol

Helen and I had our first meal at Au Petit Chavignol on Friday night. Here's our recap.

Vancouver's latest cheese and wine bar is a great success. Ths small room is inimate, frendly, and full of foodie energy. Take a seat at the bar and get Chef Owen to assamble a cheese and charcuterie plate for you. There are currently six "Tasting Flights" each consisting of three cheeses along with the option of a wine pairing. We opted for the Flight of 3 hams so we could get our fix on some jamon Iberico de Bellota along with two cheese plates that we let Owen choose for us. Prices are reasonable compared to some cheese and meat oriented menus in the city. One cheese is $4, 3 $10, and 5 for $16. There are 22 cheeses available divided into Cow, Goat, Sheep, and Mixed as well as about dozen optons for charcuturie and ten or so hot dishes. What I found fascnating was the broad selection of cheese plate accompaniments ranging from sides of exotic honey, olives, preserves and jellies and the must try grapes in Bandol marc.

The wine by the glass selection is Euro focused with about a dozen choices including the intriguing a Thalassitis Gaia. There are half a dozen beers by the bottle and one microbrewery R&B on tap. The wine selecton by the bottle reflects owner Joe's passion for German Riesling along with a spattering of Iberian, talian, and Californian options.

Service was very friendly and professonal with Annette runnng the FOH with some seasoned industry pro's working the floor. Highly reccomended!They do not take reso's so go either early or late for a seat. A nice touch is getting offered a drink while waiting - something you do not see alot of in YVR.

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG