• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huitres, Praires, Bulots, Amandes

LuckyGirl

OHHH! one of my favorites things to eat.Lookinging fotward to answers. I've tried all the brasseries and my favorite so far has been Aigues-Mortes in the South of France.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

After reading past posts I *think* I have decided on Goumard for my evening of fruit de mer. Is this a good choice? Are there other places I should consider? TIA.

A question first; do you just want to order a huge platter of shellfish and no grilled fish, etc. afterwards?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John Talbott, I am primarily interested in a fruit de mer platter but would also like your pics for other fish since you mentioned it.

I decided on Goumard for dinner last night. Since L'ecailler du Bistrot is closed on Mondays I thought we would be better of at Goumard on a Sunday night. I didn't want to chance L'ecailler du Bistrot being out of any items on the night before they close for the day.

Goumard was wonderful. The decor is absolutely gorgeous. All of the Lalique glass in the lighting and other decor pieces is beautiful beyond belief. Every item on the fruit de mer platter was impeccably fresh, clean and crisp tasting and the cooked items were cooked perfectly and well chilled. Three of our companions greatly enjoyed their bar and the fourth enjoyed his beef dish.

Pierre45 thank you for the recommendation of L'ecailler du Bistrot. I am looking forward to trying them another time.

I am also looking forward to any other suggestions folks may have.

John Talbott, I am primarily interested in a fruit de mer platter but would also like your pics for other fish since you mentioned it.

Glad you liked the "new" Goumard; it's fun/elegant, whereas l'Ecailler is fun/funky. Another fine platter can be had at the big Dome but I also like the Bistro du Dome because it's open 7/7 but no platter there. The new La Maree + Rech are elegant as well. Cannot do badly most places except La Cagouille which I think has slipped except for finger-burning moules.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Glad you liked the "new" Goumard; it's fun/elegant, whereas l'Ecailler is fun/funky. Another fine platter can be had at the big Dome but I also like the Bistro du Dome because it's open 7/7 but no platter there. The new La Maree + Rech are elegant as well. Cannot do badly most places except La Cagouille which I think has slipped except for finger-burning moules.

Thanks again.

I don't need such elegant surroundings to enjoy a good plate but it was a nice treat and I'm sure we will return as will the family we dined with. Elegant is most appreciated by me when it is not overdone. Goumard, while highly decorated is done so in such an elegant and cohesive manner that it is most enjoyable.

BTW, we enjoyed several nice meals at Bisto du Theatre in Saint Germain en Laye including a very nice fruit de mere plate. I translated their menu for them so now they have an English version to hand out to those who need it.

At first I was confused between Bistro du Dome and Le Dome du Marais. Do you have any thoughts on Le Dome du Marias (not as a place for seafood but in general)?

For a clueless tourist-to-be, can someone suggest what a typical bill might be for 2 people at each of these often-recommended places (Goumard, Dome, BDD, Ecalier)? No wine.

brescd01,

I want to say that our fruit de mere plate at Goumard was 80 Euros. We shared the largest platter for one that they offer. It is more than enough for two people.

We shared a similarly priced platter at Bistro du Theatre in St. Germain en Laye and were served maybe a third more overall than we were at Gourmand but I would give a slight edge to Goumard for the pristine freshness and the ambiance. Please note this is not to say that what we had at BDT was not fresh as it was wonderful but Goumard's was just a hair better, could even have been a matter of the day we went.