• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Night Dinner

LizzyWizzy

Hi all,

I have got 2 days in San Fran on the way to hawaii, any recdcomendations for Sunday night dining would be great?

staying in civic centre in which is pretty central i believe

thanks in advance

Lizzy

It would really help to know what kind of food you like and what you don't. Also, if you are coming from an area (like the Chesapeake Bay) that is known for seafood, I might not bother recommending places like Ame or Anchor and Hope. Price range would help as well -- if you want to stay under $100 a person, I won't recommend Coi, Fifth Floor, or Aqua (all exceptional restaurants, but a bit pricey).

One of the best around Union Square for any price is Canteen. It only seats 20 so you have to have reservations; you have your choice of the 6:00, 7:30, or 9:00 seating.

And if you don't want to have to take a cab outside of the neighborhood you are in, I won't recommend Aziza, my favorite restaurant in the city.

Give us more guidance, please!

It would really help to know what kind of food you like and what you don't. Also, if you are coming from an area (like the Chesapeake Bay) that is known for seafood, I might not bother recommending places like Ame or Anchor and Hope. Price range would help as well -- if you want to stay under $100 a person, I won't recommend Coi, Fifth Floor, or Aqua (all exceptional restaurants, but a bit pricey).

One of the best around Union Square for any price is Canteen. It only seats 20 so you have to have reservations; you have your choice of the 6:00, 7:30, or 9:00 seating.

And if you don't want to have to take a cab outside of the neighborhood you are in, I won't recommend Aziza, my favorite restaurant in the city.

Give us more guidance, please!

Sorry should of been more specific, american one or 2 star cooking please, not worried about cost

American, price not an issue - I would say Boulevard.

Yeah - Boulevard is the place that tourists go to be impressed with atmosphere, great service, and passable food. I think the food is very mediocre, but I know myself to be in a minority regarding Boulevard. Perhaps it is because it hasn't held up for me on multiple visits.

But it is more along the lines of a 3-star -- not 1 or 2.

In the 1- and 2-star range, I would recommend Lulu.

the house restaurant in North Beach is wonderful. Asian fusion. The best pork chop I can remember eating. When they can get black cod they have it as a special. It melts in your mouth. It is a must order when it is available. It may be hard to get reservations though. Ask about walk-ins, or you might be able to get an off hour reservation.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes