• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have a salmon carcass

Dianabanana

They were giving away the carcasses (head and spine) of troll-caught king salmon at the fish truck just now, so I got one. There's a lot of meat left on it, too.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that salmon stock is too strong for anything other than, say, salmon chowder. Agree or disagree? What else could I do with this?

Sounds like fun. I would put it in a pot with a little water, salt and maybe toss in some fresh herbs of choice and just simmer very very gently till the salvageable meat was barely done. Then "harvest" the meat. I would then add some water to the bones and continue to barely simmer to extract all the flavor- maybe 30 minutes.

Then either use the elements in a chowder, use some of the meat tossed with pasta and cream/butter/fresh herbs and a spring veg of choice like asparagus or favas, use the meat in a filling for wontons or ravioli poached in the broth made from the bones, etc....... I love using all the parts to create interesting dishes.

Please let us know what you did.

My fish guy sells/gives salmon heads/carcasses, depending on his mood and what's available. I make stock, it's awesome. Omega three jelly:

gallery_42214_6390_1887.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

i have made fish stock with a mixture of different fish bones including some salmon bones, and it tastes really good. I have not made stock using ONLY salmon bones, but if i did....i would make cream of salmon soup or salmon chowder...i have had both, and they are simple fabulous...

stock (made from the bones of any beast) is your friend.

one thing i've learned recently in making fish stock, is the addition of sauteed fennel to the stock pot. it elevates the stock to another level in my opinion.

WOW. I made a huge pot of salmon chowder with it, chock full of salmon. Fantastic, and it cost nothing! I can't get over it. There was as much salmon on that frame as there was in the fillet that I paid $21 for! I'm going to swing by there every week and try to get one of these. Why should I pay for food when I can get it for free? :biggrin:

Edited to say no, there was actually a lot more salmon on that frame than in the fillet.

Edited by Dianabanana (log)