• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old mixed greens...

CDRFloppingham

I give the box a sniff. You'll often get a bit of rotten greens smell. Usually, it's only a few leaves that are rotting at the edges that give the whole box the scent. I go through the leaves quickly, remove the ones with bad edges, and the rest is still good.

Any ideas to use it up besides throwing some in soup?

Ahhh... I was about to suggest making soup! This is what I generally do. A bit of broth, a few grains of rice, then, when the rice is cooked, I throw in the greens and zip it in the blender.

If the greens are just wilted, you can also place them in room temperature water for a hour or so. They should spring back to life.

After sorting, could spin into a spring pesto, with cilantro, ginger, sesame oil & tahini; then freeze. I would usually remove any radiccio, and sometimes take out the red leaves if I want a bright green hue.

Karen Dar Woon

When salad mix from my CSA gets a little brown around the edges, I saute it in olive oil with chopped garlic. Really, salad greens also make tasty sauteed greens. They do have more water in them than regular stir-fry greens. I spin-dry them before sauteing, and make sure to keep the heat high when cooking them.

This recipe for stir-fried iceberg lettuce, Asian style, sounds intriguing, though I haven't tried it. Maybe it will work for salad mix, too?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Stir-Fr...Iceberg-Lettuce