• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosengana in Cocconato (Monferrato-Piemonte)

SWISS_CHEF

gallery_25747_6623_18582.jpg

Cascina Rosengana is a lovingly restored farm that has been converted into a restaurant and B&B. The food is locally grown and organic and all of a very high quality. Our waiter was Massimo and I suspect one of the owners. He spoke English well and was warm and welcoming. The dishes were presented without fuss or pretention and the whole experience was a delight. The full menu with all the dishes listed below, grappa and coffee was €24 per person.

gallery_25747_6623_20005.jpg

Our wine was Massimo's own: Barbera d’Asti Maciot “465” € 6.90/bottle.

Antipasti:

Salami crudo & cotto. (No picture)

gallery_25747_6623_21388.jpg

Crispy parmesan cannolli filled with a goat’s cheese mousse.

gallery_25747_6623_5825.jpg

Spinach quiche with cheese.

gallery_25747_6623_21745.jpg

Carpaccio with a creamy gorgonzola sauce.

FYI: Carne Cruda Monferrina means ground or chopped raw meat (like tartar)

And Carne Cruda “Albese” means slices raw meat (like carpaccio)

Primi:

gallery_25747_6623_5435.jpg

Agnolotti plin with sage and butter.

gallery_25747_6623_11693.jpg

Tajarin with ground veal sauce.

Secondi:

gallery_25747_6623_7789.jpg

Vitello con salsa nocciola.

gallery_25747_6623_2404.jpg

Roasted Guinea hen with its sauce.

gallery_25747_6623_15461.jpg

Fried potatoes and spinach was served with the meats.

Dolce:

gallery_25747_6623_18605.jpg

Bavarian cream with moscato raisins.

Hazelnut torte with a thick cream sauce.

Chocolate torte with a thick cream sauce.

gallery_25747_6623_2499.jpg

Our grappas and coffee were included in the price of the meal.

Cascina Rosengana

Via Liprandi 50

14023 Cocconato

Italy

Tel.: +39 0141907857

Fax: +39 0141907914

Webpage

Google map

GPS: 45.0830724, 8.0573741

... but are reservations necessary for the restaurant?

Not during the week. I think they require reservations on Sunday. Cocconato is a rather vogue little town which tends to fill up with rich Turinese on the weekends. It is nick-named the "Monferrato Riviera".

Is this a preparation you've seen before, SWISS_CHEF?

I feel like I've had veal with a hazelnut sauce before. But the veal was raw and there were also anchovies in the sauce. It was, I should also say, delicious. But I imagine far from traditional.

Is this a preparation you've seen before, SWISS_CHEF?

I feel like I've had veal with a hazelnut sauce before. But the veal was raw and there were also anchovies in the sauce. It was, I should also say, delicious. But I imagine far from traditional.

I have not run across this exact preparation before but hazelnuts are often added to dishes here because they grow prolifically in this region.

One presentation I particularly like is roasted hazelnuts sprinkled on a plate of thinly sliced lardo then drizzled with chestnut honey and served with a foccia made of pizza dough fried in olive oil and dusted with salt and fresh rosemary.

Ed, suprised that you haven't been to Cascina Rosengana before, its so close to you. Maybe not the best food in Piedmont, but pretty darn good by Piedmontese standards and you can't beat the price for the best deal in Piedmont! And the sheer quantity of food too, we have to warn our guests to take it easy on the multiple courses. Plus when you have finished you can browse their food shop for local preserves etc and wines, or walk next door to the Conbipel factory outlet. We have been sending our guests here for years, one recent group liked it so much for lunch, they went back for dinner the next day!

Bookings are not needed on weekdays, but Sundays and festival days its always full and you need to book in advance. And isn't Cocconato such a charming town, so high up with all the wonderful panoramic views, I can't imagine why this are is labelled as part of the "Basso Monferrato". I always thought the epithet Riveira del Monferrato came from the white tufa soil, sort of like a beach. Oh and Massimo is the owner.

Edited by Sampaguita (log)

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

One presentation I particularly like is roasted hazelnuts sprinkled on a plate of thinly sliced lardo then drizzled with chestnut honey and served with a foccia made of pizza dough fried in olive oil and dusted with salt and fresh rosemary.

Now you're talking.

Now you're talking.

Yeah, it sort of ruins you for anything else. :rolleyes:

This preparation is something I was first exposed to at Café della Fontana in Murisengo. Every Monday Murisengo has a street market and one of the vendors always brings his lardo which is pretty well known in the village..... local hazelnuts are rather smallish and very sweet... and the chestnut honey, well it is very hard to describe, you just have to taste that for yourself when you come to Zanco.... we have a beekeeper in the village that always has a supply.

PS: Murisengo is also noteworthy because it is the birth-place of Luigi Lavazza

Edited by SWISS_CHEF (log)