• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative to acetate sheets

hansjoakim

Hi all,

It seems I'm living in a dark corner of the world where acetate sheets or plastic cake collars are hard to find... I've found several online stores that sell these, but the international UPS shipping costs rule out that option for me, I'm afraid. I would like to use such sheets to line the sides of a circular cake mold that I'll use to assemble a cake, and I'm thinking that perhaps simple transparency sheets would do the trick? I guess one could adjust the stiffness of the layer by adjusting the number of transparency sheets one uses? Has anyone tried this (or similar improvised methods) to replace the food acetate sheets? Do transparency sheets peel off easily afterwards?

Cheers!

I use transparency sheets all the time for making chocolate transfers and decorations. I also use the acetate desk protectors you can get from office supply stores.

I know some people are concerned re the food safety of these items.