• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Captain Paul's Firehouse Dogs

Rich Pawlak

This new place just opened near my home, and is serving up some tasty dogs in the tradition of Russ Ayres in Bordentown, a classic old hot dog stand. Open just a few weeks, it's doing brisk business at lunch and through the afternoon. The twins love the dogs here,, so dad is more than glad to make this a regular lunch stop.

Captain Paul is Paul Tweedly, an earnest hot dog fanatic, and he serves up his dogs with care and pride. He serves 4 variations of a Hatfield beef and pork boiled hot dog, and he claims that he does not let them sit too long in the water, so they do not get soggy and unappetizing.

The Full Box is a dog topped with yellow mustard, chopped onion, relish and kraut.

The Fire Alarm is a dog topped with cheese

The Second Alarm is a cheese dog topped with good spicy chili sauce

The Third Alarm is a chili dog with mustard and chopped onion.

He also serves Gelato's home made Italian ices and ice cream (six different sundaes), smoothies, milk shakes, and root beer floats. He will soon add chocolate dipped frozen bananas, ice cream sandwiches and "cannnoli pops". Oh man.

So far so good for Captain Paul's. Good fresh dogs, fresh rolls, lots of enthusiasm. He says he plans other variations as he watches the business flow.

Captain Paul's Firehouse Dogs

2230 Princeton Pike

Lawrenceville, NJ

609-323-7253

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My daughter, husband and three granddaughters live nearby, and I expect to be there very soon.

I think this is the place that used to sell just gelato, and I was there several times with the girls.

Thanks for the information.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

My daughter, husband and three granddaughters live nearby, and I expect to be there very soon.

I think this is the place that used to sell just gelato, and I was there several times with the girls. 

Thanks for the information.

It is indeed, and it still seems affiliated with the Gelato's chain, but now with Capt. Paul's dogs. Still has gelatos and ice cream. Just down the street from my house too.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"