• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Rich Pawlak

I had my first Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA a few months ago, when it first arrived on the East Coast, and it just blew me away, all that citrus in the nose, the rush of hops at first sip, and that silken finish. It has nearly replaced SN Celebration as my favorite beer ever. And it still may. What a spectacular beer. More details on my blog, The Omnivore

Well, it's been weeks since I've seen it anywhere on the shelves here in central NJ, but today, on a whim, I stopped into a liquor store in very Polish-Russian-Slavic North Trenton, and I found some treasure: 2 sixers of Torpedo. Snatched them up quickly, ran to the register and wow, just $7.26 a sixer! Beauty!

Now, the fun of picking with whom to share the treasure.....

If you haven't tasted this wild beer, you have got to search for it.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Definitely another solid offering from SN, though you might want to check the production date since IPA's are best when they're fresh.

Here's the link to deciphering the production code:

http://www.sierranevada.com//codehelp.html

Also, if you're looking for "wild" beers, you might want to try something from Southern Tier or Dogfish Head.

Love most of the Dogfish head stuff, but I have found some of the Southern Tier offerings inconsistent and not always enjoyable. Finn & Matt's Excellent Ale is good, Old Man Winter Ale is good, but I havent been wowed by some of their other stuff.

Definitely another solid offering from SN, though you might want to check the production date since IPA's are best when they're fresh.

Here's the link to deciphering the production code:

http://www.sierranevada.com//codehelp.html

Also, if you're looking for "wild" beers, you might want to try something from Southern Tier or Dogfish Head.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Has anyone been able to find this beer lately? This might be an interesting project for us:

TELL US WHERE YOU'VE FOUND SIERRA NEVADA TORPEDO!

Quickly becoming the hardest beer to find in America.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Torpedo is on year round distribution. I don't know why you're having such difficulty finding it.

I know the local liquor stores here have cases of the stuff. You can even order it online if you want:

http://www.samswine.com/on/demandware.stor...q=sierra+nevada

Ever thought about trying any of these?

-3Floyds Alpha King or Dreadnaught

-Weyerbacher Double Simcoe

-Flossmor Station, any of their high-gravity IPA's

-Smuttynose IPA

-Troegs Nugget Nectar

-Avery Maharaja

All are qaulity hopped up microbrews.

3 Floyds and Flossmorr Station doesnt make it to NJ/PA, anywhere that I've seen anyway. And this Torpedo stuff is magical stuff.

Torpedo might be on year-round distribution, but it's pretty scrace around here in central NJ. 10 cases flew off the shelves at the local Wegman's in 2 days.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Buy Rite Liquors on Morris Ave. in Union (within walking distance of my house) has it. I've seen it but haven't tried it yet. I used to love the Celebration Ale, but my tastes have changed away from hoppy ales. I do love the regular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and have it occassionally.

Rich,

I love Stoudt's Golden Lager, but for some strange reason every liquor store near me that carries Stoudt's has several of their beers, but none carry the Gold. I asked about this and was told that it's not offerred by their distributors. Do you know why this is?

John the hot dog guy

I do not know the answer, but I will be attending a tasting with Carol Stoudt herself next Thurs in Philly, so I will ask her.

As for the Torpedo, you should try it; it is an amazing beer, hoppy but silky smooth, an amazing achievement. Your teeth will not be rattling after this beer. Likely a great hot dog beer, too!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Thanks, Rich. I usually run into Carol at the Great Eastern Microbrewery Festival at her place in Adamstown, PA though I haven't been there in 2 years. I'll try the Torpedo.

John the hot dog guy

Has anyone been able to find this beer lately?  This might be an interesting project for us: 

TELL US WHERE YOU'VE FOUND SIERRA NEVADA TORPEDO!

Quickly becoming the hardest beer to find in America.....

Here's a post on Beer Advocate (from a S-N employee) that explains why the Torpedo IPA is in short supply in many areas of the country (and why that may be the case until the fall). Torpedo Update

Torpedo might be on year-round distribution, but it's pretty scrace around here in central NJ.  10 cases flew off the shelves at the local Wegman's in 2 days.

I sure hope people aren't buying cases of beer at Wegman's- unlike many liquor stores they don't discount case prices, so one could easily spend $8-10 more buying cases of craft beer at Wegman's vs the nearby Joe Canal's or Glendale Liquors (limited selection but great prices for what they have). I don't stop into the Princeton Wegman's Liquor Store too often (horrible parking) but the Manalapan store is full of out-of-date beer, poorly stored (they actually have florescent lights *under* the shelving, so if you're looking for un-light struck beer by reaching into the back for a sixpack, you're out of luck) and absolutely zero beer knowledge or any other help.

Edited by jesskidden (log)

Agreed on all counts. I havent ever bought a beer there, but was desperately looking for the Torpedo, hence the reference.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

While I agree that the Torpedo is worth trying, it wasn't life altering. It's not even the best of Sierra Nevada's beers (which I like); I thought their ESB (Early Spring Beer) was better balanced and more interesting.

But it's good to have another option when I'm in the mood for lots of hops.

Life alteration is both subjective and relative.

The SN ESB is quite a nice beer, balanced as you say, but to me Torpedo impresses with the rush of hops and the the extra smooth finish. Hard to find a beer that does both quite like a Torpedo.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I'm probably spoiled in California - so I don't think Torpedo is an amazing beer. It's good for Sierra, and I have enjoyed the Celebration and Anniversary ales that were recently released... but for my money, I'd reach for Firestone Union Jack, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Russian River Blind Pig, Bear Republic Racer 5, Drake's IPA, or Stone's IPA before the Torpedo. That's not counting double IPAs... and that's all in California. Not to mention that I've got 3-4 IPAs to try from legit California micros that I'm somewhat confident would come in better. I've also had IPAs at couple of brewpubs (no bottling) that surpassed torpedo - for me. (Didn't know much about beer when I lived out of state)

So... while it's a good beer, and a nice step forward for Sierra, not something I'm going to buy on average, since I generally don't shop in stores that don't stock at least something from one of the above breweries. However, I am smack dab in the middle of IPA country - I wish beer distribution wasn't so absurdly regulated. That way on the west coast we could get all of the great things the east has to offer and vice versa - ah well.

Edited by theisenm85 (log)

I'm probably spoiled in California - so I don't think Torpedo is an amazing beer.  It's good for Sierra, and I have enjoyed the Celebration and Anniversary ales that were recently released... but for my money, I'd reach for Firestone Union Jack, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Russian River Blind Pig, Bear Republic Racer 5, Drake's IPA, or Stone's IPA before the Torpedo.  That's not counting double IPAs... and that's all in California.  Not to mention that I've got 3-4 IPAs to try from legit California micros that I'm somewhat confident would come in better.  I've also had IPAs at couple of brewpubs (no bottling) that surpassed torpedo - for me.  (Didn't know much about beer when I lived out of state)

So... while it's a good beer, and a nice step forward for Sierra,  not something I'm going to buy on average, since I generally don't shop in stores that don't stock at least something from one of the above breweries.  However, I am smack dab in the middle of IPA country - I wish beer distribution wasn't so absurdly regulated.  That way on the west coast we could get all of the great things the east has to offer and vice versa - ah well.

yeah, yeah, rub it in our faces..... I'd love to try anything from Russian River, but I guess I'd have to fly to CA to get my hands on it. At least I've got access to nice, fresh 3Floyd's (which I don't think is distributed in CA).

Like I noted before, Torpedo is a solid beer and SN derserves credit for it, especially considering they do distribute nationwide. I don't think its the new best beer around, but its certainly one worth buying.

In all actuality, any jealousy I have is purely for PTE.

Well that and also the convenience of being able to buy a Stone product without having to drive to the next state.

• 1 month later...

The two cases I ordered just arrived.

It's another SV hit!

More floral than the 12th Release and maybe not quite as smooth but we need to do a blind tasting to see the results.

SV is making the best ales readily available in the US today. Quite a change from years ago when the only truly hoppy ale available was Ballantine "Aged in the wood".-Dick

• 2 weeks later...
The two cases I ordered just arrived.

It's another SV hit!

More floral than the 12th Release and maybe not quite as smooth but we need to do a blind tasting to see the results.

SV is making the best ales readily available in the US today. Quite a change from years ago when the only truly hoppy ale available was Ballantine "Aged in the wood".-Dick

In a blind taste I was able to identify the Torpedo from the 12th Release.

My preference is for the 12th Release which tastes bit smoother.

Both are excellent ales.-Dick

• 5 months later...