• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Glutinous Black Rice Cake Recipes?

I saw some great looking black glutinous rice at our korean grocery here (yes our small city has one - though it lost the other Asian Markets - But one grocery store does often have Asian produce and another has a Cambodian butcher who it now bringing in whole fish, large clams, etc.).

So I wanted some recipes. I found some - like just putting in a bit with regular rice (though some said to make sure to soak it longer first). Or to mix it with other glutinous rice soak and steam and make coconut flavored pudding (much like one of my favorite Thai dishes - this with mangos).

This rice is short grain, like Japanese or Korean sweet (glutinous) rice, not like the Thai varities. I know there are hundreds of varities of rice.

Then I found a hint of this dish - Rice Cakes. http://mykoreankitchen.com/tag/rice-cake-snacks

They sound pretty good. Sweet and gooey, with lots of additional treats.

Hkmi Chal Ddeok (흑미찰떡)

However, any other recipes - Savory too - would be great.

Loki - I'll try to get this from my best friend this weekend. Her mother usually makes great rice cakes but I'm now sure if there's a ricecake made out of black rice. Most of the sticky ricecakes I've encountered here in Korea are made of the white glutinous rice and covered with some balck powder (-> those are my favorites)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yeah, the only link - the one I posted - has no recipe and they seem not to be able to find one.

I could probably make it from a recipe for regular glutinous rice (I thinkk you need to mix the two to make the cakes anyway).

Any other recipies using this rice would be great too! Later.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm still looking for a recipe for this dish - the Korean link was not useful as I can't read Korean and the translation was hopeless. The translation did not have and numbers in it either so I wonder even if it really was a recipe. But I still would love a recipe for Korean Black Rice Cake - or any other Black Rice recipes....