• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft Cocktails in Spain

We're headed to Madrid, Barcelona, and San Sebastian for our honeymoon this summer and I was wondering where we could find high quality craft cocktails.

Do bars like this exist in Spain? I live in New York and we have a host of them including but not limited to Flatiron Lounge, Pegu Club, PDT, Death & Co., Milk & Honey, etc. I'm more of a rum/gin person, future husband is more of a bourbon/scotch/tequila fan.

I've been doing some preliminary searching and found these, any comments?:

MADRID

Makita Cafe

Del Diego Cocktail Bar

BARCELONA

Dry Martini

Boadas

Ideal Cocktail Bar

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

MADRID

Makita Cafe

Del Diego Cocktail Bar

In Madrid, my typical places for cocktails are:

Del Diego - Fernando del Diego is a great old-school bartender and feel free to go off menu with him - describing a preferred spirit and style

Bar Cock - A little more scene and style, but it's still worth seeing. They make a solid cocktail - but get crowded and it's more difficult to go off menu with them.

La Terrasca - a great tequila joint with very good sangrita and fantastic tropical drinks

For specialty bars:

La Venecia for Sherry

Mercado de la Reina and Bristol Bar for gin-tonic specialty bars

Te Deum for a great selection of beers

Ambigu 16 for a wide selection of rum - but not a cocktail joint

Bora Bora - Haven't checked it out myself, but it's supposed to be a good tiki bar

Avery Glasser

Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs

Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

Del Diego has been my all times favourite, but nowadays, Sergi Arola's Cocktail Bar, below the Gastro restaurant serves the best cocktails in Madrid.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Those you've cited for Barcelona are all steady enough. Good, solid cocktails available, if a little short of innovation. Other options in a similar vein would be Tandem, Peter's Bar and Gimlet. The smaller Gimlet in the Born is very intimate and fun. Also, Boadas's sister bar Caribbean Club is perhaps a better option than the mothership.

Sergi Arola's Cocktail Bar, below the Gastro restaurant serves the best cocktails in Madrid.

Well, not quite in my book. Diego Cabrera's cocktails at Arola Gastro are great, but I still rank Estanis Carenzo's at Sudestada as the best in Madrid - and not just the legendary caipirinha. What I don't know is if you can just go in and have a cocktail or if they're only served to diners - which isn't a great problem, of course, because it's also one of Madrid's best restaurants...

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

• 1 year later...

Bumping the thread to say that cocktail lovers in Barcelona should try the Black Cafe at C/ Rabassa 39 in Gracia. A joy for the standard of service and the value for money. Nothing cutting edge, but a very friendly alternative to some of the other names above.

Meanwhile I'm off to Madrid soon. I think Le Cabrera merits a visit. Any other options I should consider?