• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Grinder for large quantities

thegreatdane

What coffee grinder are you using?

Serious coffee-heads seem to get MUCH more fussed about grinding than do spice-lovers ...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Just a consumer model.  Too small.  Any suggestions for grinding spices in quantity?

Thanks.

I was wondering exactly what you were comparing against.

Just how small is "too small"?

Because things like

http://1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/capresso/560565.htm

ought to be able to handle quite a lot of volume for you.

I'm sure there are heavier duty machines available at a higher price,

EDIT for example http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/mazzer/index.htm

but any adjustable conical burr grinder would be a huge step up from any whirling blade type grinder.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Just a consumer model.  Too small.  Any suggestions for grinding spices in quantity?

Thanks.

I was wondering exactly what you were comparing against.

Just how small is "too small"?

Because things like

http://1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/capresso/560565.htm

ought to be able to handle quite a lot of volume for you.

I'm sure there are heavier duty machines available at a higher price,

EDIT for example http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/mazzer/index.htm

but any adjustable conical burr grinder would be a huge step up from any whirling blade type grinder.

Thanks for the links. Have you any experience with these, features you like, or a preference in model? What does "doserless" mean?

...  Have you any experience with these, features you like, or a preference in model?  What does "doserless" mean?

No. After looking at such things a couple of years ago (here in the UK), I decided to continue enjoying my less committed coffee-making! The Capresso was recommended on an eGullet grinder thread in the Tea and Coffee section. Mazzer is a known make from cafés, etc.

But I can tell you that a 'doser' is a ground coffee portion dispenser. You don't want one! You probably want your ground spices to exit directly into your own chosen container (or into a simple hopper).

I'd expect that you might be concerned about ease of cleaning if you were grinding individual spices or multiple different blends. Coffee people don't like old coffee bean bits going nasty in their grinders - they should be designed for simple cleaning!

I hope this is a fruitful direction for you to explore!

Sadly, I can't tell you about throughput rates or duty cycles.

Would a simple kitchen machine like a kitchenaid work? I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try. Might use a dedicated blade as it'll probably get too dull for other things, but I'd guess it'll work with spices?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

If you are doing it commercially, I'd second the burr grinder. You can set the size of the grind with extreme precision and they are mostly industrial strength machines.

Moreover, they do not heat up the spices like a blade grinder will.

Don't buy a doser model. This is used purely to assist in delivering coffee into a filter basket for pouring espresso.

My coffee grinder is a Rancilio Rocky Grinder, a rugged beast that gives an exceptional grind.

As is the case for rotary coffee grinders, if you use this for grinding spices you can say goodbye to using it for coffee.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I missed this topic until now. I can tell you from personal experience that the Capresso will NOT grind some spices satisfactorily. I ruined one trying to grind star anise and cinnamon (the real, big bark chunks and the smaller "quills").

I have one that I use for coffee - a replacement of the one I destroyed.

I have used the dry container with my Vita-Mix but I broke the spices up quite a bit in a mortar (big brass one) first.

The other grinder I have used is a hand-cranked one made for cracking corn and it produces a coarse grind that can then be fined in a smaller spice grinder but as you want volume, I doubt that will fit your need.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett