• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Funny color in the cake batter

SusanGiff

Last night, my daughter made a cake mix and, being a teenager, freaked out and deemed it unservable when she noticed some grayish streaks in the batter as she was pouring it into the pan. We baked it up anyway and the streaks disappeared.

This morning, I was making my own cake, from scratch, with a recipe that began with beating four eggs until slightly thickened and lemon-colored. I'd say they ended up more a sort of gray-lemon mix. So now I'm wondering whether it was the eggs. Has this happened to anyone? Will our cakes indeed be inedible?

As for particulars, we're using the usual stainless bowl that comes with the Kitchenaid mixer. The rubber keeps rubbing off the blade, so maybe that's it? Curious...

Thanks.

Last night, my daughter made a cake mix and, being a teenager, freaked out and deemed it unservable when she noticed some grayish streaks in the batter as she was pouring it into the pan. We baked it up anyway and the streaks disappeared.

This morning, I was making my own cake, from scratch, with a recipe that began with beating four eggs until slightly thickened and lemon-colored. I'd say they ended up more a sort of gray-lemon mix. So now I'm wondering whether it was the eggs. Has this happened to anyone? Will our cakes indeed be inedible?

As for particulars, we're using the usual stainless bowl that comes with the Kitchenaid mixer. The rubber keeps rubbing off the blade, so maybe that's it? Curious...

Thanks.

could be the bowl and whisk you're using. are you using a stand mixer? sometimes the height adjustment needs to be worked on in order that the attachments don't hit the metal. if you're using a hand whisk and a stainless steel bowl, sometimes poorer quality stainless can impart color.

in other words, i would attribute this to a mechanical issue rather than ingredient. of course, there could be some acid in the recipe (leavener?) that's reacting with your bowl or mixing apparatus as well.

Thanks.

Do you wash the kitchen aide paddle attachment in the dishwasher? if so try rubbing the paddle attachment and see what happens... they tend to oxidize

Thanks.

could be the bowl and whisk you're using. are you using a stand mixer? sometimes the height adjustment needs to be worked on in order that the attachments don't hit the metal. if you're using a hand whisk and a stainless steel bowl, sometimes poorer quality stainless can impart color.

in other words, i would attribute this to a mechanical issue rather than ingredient. of course, there could be some acid in the recipe (leavener?) that's reacting with your bowl or mixing apparatus as well.

Using a stand mixer, no whisk for this recipe. It's odd, though, because nothing's changed and I bake all the time--made something on Sunday that was fine. And there were no leaveners added when I mixed up the eggs this morning--just the eggs in the bowl. I'll try rubbing everything down before I bake again. Thanks.

i think it's your paddle. you said that the "rubber" is coming off, and that makes me think that's your problem. i'd get a new paddle, pronto, because little pieces of that coating could be flaking off into your batter.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I totally missed this the first time. Are you using the paddle that came with the mixer or the after market "beater blade"?

Home models usually have the coated blades, but some come with metal blades. Again, I think you should check your height adjustment or make sure that the bowl is sitting properly. Sometimes when people have a small amount to mix, they lift the bowl slightly so that everything gets scraped down. I think bowl to paddle contact is your culprit. I don't think it makes things inedible, but I don't know how much metal you want to ingest ;-)

I totally missed this the first time. Are you using the paddle that came with the mixer or the after market "beater blade"?

Home models usually have the coated blades, but some come with metal blades. Again, I think you should check your height adjustment or make sure that the bowl is sitting properly. Sometimes when people have a small amount to mix, they lift the bowl slightly so that everything gets scraped down. I think bowl to paddle contact is your culprit. I don't think it makes things inedible, but I don't know how much metal you want to ingest ;-)

Hi. It came with the mixer--this is the second beater I've had, and they've both had the coated blades that wore down after some use. I actually never knew you could adjust the height, so I'll look into that. A tiny bit of metal doesn't bother me too much, but motor oil? Eww.