• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London - Box of Oranges at Trade to Non-Trade?...

Hi there egulleters,

Very exciting, I've just bought a whole fruit juicer - it's the Prima 700w job - not exactly top of the line (£32 on ebay) but it works really well and my flatmates and I are loving it, especially combo orange/mango/apple/Ugli fruit juices.

I've been buying oranges from the North End Rd. market, think they were quoting me about £8 for a box... (10Kgs? didn't check) but that's saturday only, and I'm wondering whether there's anywhere else I could pick up some fruit at trade (or similarly reasonable) prices mon-fri... even though I'm non-trade?

Could I just turn up to New Convent Garden Market (where & when?) and ask nicely? any idea on prices? ideas?

Any advice much appreciated!

You can just turn up to New Covent Garden, it might cost you £4 to get in. Try Fenn & Hexton, C&C Fruit Company or just walk through Units C & D looking at what is best and who'll do you a deal. Navel Oranges are £2.66 a kilo - £8 for a £10 box from NE Road seems pretty good but I'd taste them before you commit to a box.

There are some varietes that are better for juicing, can't remember right now.

• 1 month later...

you can walk, cycle or bike into covent garden for free - so for one box you might be able to cope carrying it home. generally the best juicing oranges which you can find in covent garden are moroccan or egyptian at the moment - small and ugly looking from the outside.