• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burnt Marshmallow

rio marie

I have a question: Do you think it's possilbe to take a homemade marshmallow and put it over a flame and burn it on the outside and then dip in chocolate? Would that work? I was at an event last week and a lady sugested I do that. I thought 'Ummm that might work' what do you all think?......I really like the burnt taste of marshmallow.

Thanks,

Rena

You might have more luck if you drizzle the melted chocolate over the burnt marshmallow. The burnt part might flake into the chocolate if you dip it.

But, as Kerry said, there's only one way to find out for sure!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Hubert Keller who has the Burger Bar in Vegas does a Smores dessert. He makes marshmallows and pipes them onto puff pastry and then uses a torch on them to toast the piped mounds. He finishes them by drizzling ganache over them. A torch like a propane torch or creme brulle torch. His recipe is at his web site under the Secrets of a Chef www.hubertkeller.com

HTH

Update:

I burnt my marshmallows over a low flame on the stove. They were dusted in this stuff called 'Mircle Powder' I ordered from Sweet Celebrations which is now closed. It's the same powder that is on powdered donuts. Anyway, it's more like a cream burlee on the outside. It's hard and caramelized. I tasted one and it tasted burnt just like from the campfire. Now I'm waiting for my chocolate to temper and will dip them. I'll give another update once they are set.

I don't have a camera so there will be no pics.....

Rena

I dipped the burnt marshmallow in chocolate and tasted them after they were set. I didn't really taste the burnt flavor due to the chocolate being the stronger taste. But I did like the texture the caramelization had on the marshmallow. It gave it a bit of a crunch when you bit into them.

So, maybe I will use milk chocolate next time and just shoulder dip the marshmallow so the top will be exposed and give it a bit more visual appeal.....

Rena

• 2 years later...

I need some ideas...I make a S'more pop which is a homemade vanilla marshmallow with one end torched and the other dipped in dark chocolate and black pepper biscotti crumbs. My problem is that I can't figure out how to package them. I've tried the lollipop stick in the torched end and in the chocolate end but both ways the torched part sticks to the plastic bag. I tried dipping the torched end into the chocolate but then you can't taste the burnt sugar. Any other ideas on how to achieve this in a way I can successfully package it without spend too much on the package?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I need some ideas...I make a S'more pop which is a homemade vanilla marshmallow with one end torched and the other dipped in dark chocolate and black pepper biscotti crumbs. My problem is that I can't figure out how to package them. I've tried the lollipop stick in the torched end and in the chocolate end but both ways the torched part sticks to the plastic bag. I tried dipping the torched end into the chocolate but then you can't taste the burnt sugar. Any other ideas on how to achieve this in a way I can successfully package it without spend too much on the package?

Could the torched end be coated with cornstarch and confectioners sugar like a sticky marshmallow to prevent sticking?

Kerry and Jeanne - both great ideas. I'll give them a try.

Those look yummy!

Yes they do... hmmm... :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The waxed paper idea got me thinking and I've figured something out. I stuck the lollipop stick in the torched end and then added a small piece of waxed paper with a hole punched for the stick. This seems to do the trick and prevents sticking. The only thing is they taste best if you eat the torched end first because then that flavour is with you for the whole treat rather than just getting it at the end. Packaging also works if I make them as in the photo and put a piece of waxed paper on top but it doesn't look as nice. I guess I can't have everything. ;) Thanks for your help.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I have done these multiple times, the way I usually do it is I make my own marshmallows and make them shaped into quenelle's, I quickly burn these over a wood fire, usually at the same time I am making coals for a barbecue. When they are still lovely and melty, I quickly dust them with confectioner's sugar (the kind with some cornstarch in it, that really helps) and dip it in tempered milk chocolate (I suck at tempering, but luckily I have a friend who works in a chocolatier and who seems to have a sixth sense for barbecue's), making sure to dip it rather quickly, so only a thin coat forms, I then roll them around in some nuts if I want to and serve them on ice cream.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill