• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using cooking as a teaching tool

Irenesh

There is an interesting article on the web - The Scientist and the Cook: Mind-Opening Recipes that deals with cooking as a tool for teaching chemical engineering. The use of the culinary arts as an aid in presenting advanced subjects is quite fascinating. Do you think this can be a successful approach to teaching mathematics to school-age children?

Yes, I do! My husband teaches high school chemistry, and I've been after him for years to incorporate a little cooking into the curriculum. I guess the kids in the food science class do get this, but I think the mainstream chem classes would benefit, too. Thanks for the article.

I've been using food and cooking to teach my son math since he was in grade one. Since I don't do chemistry, high school math and such is beyond me, but it's a good idea for high school kids as well. Particularly for boys, who are more hands on learners and are going to grasp something from a basic they already understand and can do that much more easily.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Its without question cooking incorporates the appellations of the sciences of mathematics, chemistry, physics, heath science, administration -- accounting, human dynamics and probably many more that don’t occur to me right now. For elementary and middle school students cooking can be the gateway to these disciplines that otherwise would not be attempted. For students who need to see it and do it to understand it cooking can be the gateway. That is one of the goal we are trying to implement in founding a community kitchen in our local community.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Its without question cooking incorporates the appellations of the sciences of mathematics, chemistry, physics, heath science, administration -- accounting, human dynamics and probably many more that don’t occur to me right now. For elementary and middle school students cooking can be the gateway to these disciplines that otherwise would not be attempted. For students who need to see it and do it to understand it cooking can be the gateway. That is one of the goal we are trying to implement in founding a community kitchen in our local community.

Absolutely and most defintely. I love to cook out of a love for chemistry. I still remember in our last freshman chemistry class (as a kind of ease into finals last assignment) making protein pellets in sucrose solution. Peanut Brittle.

I work for a school supply company and did not know that our special needs experts use cooking as a technique for sensory stimulation and other gains. If I may share, our last newsletter was all about cooking. (admin I am not trying to shill and if this excerpt is inappropriate I apologize).

Cooking To Learn

Sue Wilkinson, OTR

Photo: Kids Cook! Book

Special education teachers, speech and language pathologists and occupational therapists have known it for years ─ one sure recipe for "success" is putting kids in the kitchen. Just think of the skills cooking teaches: Sequencing, bilateral coordination, fine-motor strength/coordination, nutrition, reading, social skills/pragmatics, sensory exploration, math and daily living skills.

A favorite classroom cookbook you'll love is Kids Cook! Language based and great for sequencing, this cookbook is designed for kids three years old and up. The Mix It Up Cookbook is also brimming with fun ideas and is for ages 10 and up.

One dynamic group that has utilized the art of cooking for special-needs kids is the Lunch Bunch Group in Orlando, Florida. The group was started for kids who have sensory avoidance of certain foods. Some of the children in this group have a history of being tube fed, and others have sensory processing issues. Since the group is co-lead by OTs, SLPs and teachers familiar with sensory processing issues, the heavy work, oral-motor and respiration activities are incorporated before the food items are scrubbed, peeled and cut. Oh, what yummy success stories the Lunch Bunch Group has shared with us at Integrations!