• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassoulet in Paris

RandyB

I cannot seem to interest any of my friends in sharing the typical cassoulet served for two people. My last, best choice, le Relais St. Paul near my family's apartment in the Marais, is now a Thai restaurant.

Thus, I am looking for a good cassoulet that might be ordered for just one person in a restaurant that is not grand luxe. However, it should be something better than the 11 Euro version I saw today on the place de la Bastille -- made without any confit de canard!

I have repeatedly ordered Christian Constant's version at Le Violon d'Ingres since he changed from a luxe, gourmet restaurant to an upscale, gourmet bistro a couple of years back. The change included a significant price reductiuon as well. It is infinitely more to my liking than some of the lesser quality, inconsistent offerings around town, e.g. Fontaine de Mars.

The last one I had for one (I've since made it at home with Galerie Lafayette confit, Grand Epicerie sausages and Monoprix beans once a month about with great success) was at the Auberge Pyrenees Cevennes in the 11th and it was much too much for one to eat but not half-bad.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The last one I had for one (I've since made it at home with Galerie Lafayette confit, Grand Epicerie sausages and Monoprix beans once a month about with great success) was at the Auberge Pyrenees Cevennes in the 11th and it was much too much for one to eat but not half-bad.

I had a terrible experience at L'auberge Pyrenees cevennes a few years back.

I left my food half eaten.

I took advantage of a couple of free hours this morning to take a look at all three restaurants. I decided that if my step-mother is intererested when she gets to Paris next week, I will take her to the prettiest of the three mentioned, le Violin d'Ingres. I was able to get a reservation for Friday night. I have never been there, but have wanted to try it. I had not realized that I could get cassoulet for one there or I probably would have gone sooner.

If my stepmother does not want to go, my second choice based solely on appearance was L'Ecureuil, l'Oie et le Canard. This is where I will go if alone. Thus, I don`t have to worry about testing the current state of l'auberge Pyrenées Cevennes.

Edited by RandyB (log)

• 2 weeks later...

The dinner tonight at Violon d'Ingres was wonderful. My stepmother loved it. She also thought the prices were very reasonable, with a 48 euro, 3-course prix fixe. We ended up splitting the cassoulet and splitting an agneau au lait (extra price), because it turns out she loves cassoulet, too. It was good that we didn't both order it. The portion was tremendous, although the confit was not a large piece itself. Unfortunately, it was so delicious we ate more of it than we should have.

The servers were very friendly. When we asked for an extra spoon for my stepmother to taste my soup (cream of pumpkin with wild mushrooms), they brought her a bowl instead (at no charge). As one would expect from Constant, desserts, too, were excellent. The only thing we didn't like were the petit fours at the end: Hard white meringue and standard caramels. Neither are things I ever like although I exclude from my dislike he Jacques Genin caramels, which are unreal.

It was not too loud. Only one person in the whole restaurant was smoking and, of course, even that will end soon.

Edited by RandyB (log)

• 15 years later...

I ordered a cassoulet in Paris once. Given our shared interest as members of egullet, I had of course made a list of places to eat, allowing for budget, although I can't remember the name of this restaurant at this moment.

I don't speak French and the staff didn't speak English. The meal took an hour or more to arrive. The waiter felt forced at one point to apologetically mime a joke tapping his watch, pointing his thumb to the kitchen and twiddling his thumbs. I didn't really know what to expect, but it seems to be what is described in this thread. What I did not expect was that it would have readily fed at least four people.

It was delicious. I ate it all.

I've been to France two or three times since, and not seen cassoulet on the menu. I've brought back tinned cassoulet which has been very enjoyable.

What I don't understand is the size of the portion I was served. It was priced like a meal for one. But even for a glutton like me, it was a challenge to eat it all. Is a cassoulet serving always so massive? Did they make a cassoulet just for me as a single serving? Was the language barrier and their courtesy and hospitality too much for them to refuse to serve me a single portion when it would normally be ordered by a table of six?

The front of house service in Paris throughout that weekend was just the best I have experienced in all my travels.

Edited by Kerala
an hour or more (log)
  • Like 6

On 1/8/2023 at 4:35 AM, Kerala said:

I ordered a cassoulet in Paris once. . . . I didn't really know what to expect, but it seems to be what is described in this thread. What I did not expect was that it would have readily fed at least four people.

It was delicious. I ate it all.

. . .

What I don't understand is the size of the portion I was served. It was priced like a meal for one. But even for a glutton like me, it was a challenge to eat it all. Is a cassoulet serving always so massive? Did they make a cassoulet just for me as a single serving? Was the language barrier and their courtesy and hospitality too much for them to refuse to serve me a single portion when it would normally be ordered by a table of six?

. . .

From what the OP said, it seems as though serving cassoulet as something for two is (was?) traditional, but your portion sounds remarkably large. Perhaps they served extra, to compensate for how long you had to wait..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

My one Paris cassoulet was some 25 years ago at Chez Maitre Paul.   When it came to table, the waiter took two large spoons and removed the crust, setting it on a side plate and taking it away.    I was perplexed but didn't say anything.   (Today, I would ask him WTH he was doing.)   Probably/possibly the kitchen repositioned it on another hot but not crusted casserole, reheated the whole thing and reserved it.

• Confused 1

eGullet member #80.