• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dining around Nuremberg and Munich

Later this year we'll be visiting family outside of Erlangen and Munich, would be curious to check out some good restaurants in the area.

Is the Michelin guide for Germany a good source? Seems to cover restaurants and hotels, the later I'm not interested in. Are there other restaurant guides for Bavaria?

I'm looking for traditional Franconian and Bavarian food for one, but also would like to try a find dining excursion here or there, as visiting family comes with the added benefit of free baby sitters :-)

Thanks!

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

The Michelin works well, but better or at least easier for fine dining. A more recent addition has been the "Gusto" guides that exist only for Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg. http://www.gusto-online.de/

At least for the Baden-Wuerttemberg edition I find the guide extremely helpful; the judgement seems sound on the high-end level but they also cover in detail all the regional places. Highly recommended, though only in German and available there (and not yet with an online database).

that's a great link, thank you! I'll get the Michelin here and see that my parents order the gusto guide at their local book store. I'm German, so the language is no problem :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

oh, and in Nuernberg you should go to Essigbraetlein. Very unique ** Michelin (love or hate, but more of the former) with a cuisine heavily based on creative use of exotic spices.

Another fantastic place with very special mix of Swabian and French haute cuisine is Landgasthof Adler in Rosenberg (though it is 90 mins away). One of the few places that cook at the highest level while there is no question where you are because of the strong influence of local ingredients and cooking.... their tripe with smoked eel and morels is a stunner. And prices very reasonable.

http://www.landgasthofadler.de/

• 1 year later...

A recent account of our visit to the Essigbrätlein in Nürnberg: the kitchen struggles in finding to establish new dishes and cannot yet live up to their standard level for some dishes.

Nevertheless, the cuisine is quite special, very to the point using mostly vegetables and local produce in a clever way. Definitely worth a visit when around Nürnberg.

The full report is here.