• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Village

Bill Miller

Cafe Rablaise--great lunch and reasonable--mussels, frites--good flank steak salad--all French wine list--many are reasonable--great Italian tratorria and market around the corner!!--Gabbiano Chianti- $22/bottle!! Economical three course lunch!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Agreed that Cafe Rabelais is fabulous, and their wine list nearly as remarkable as the place itself: the entire perimeter of the dining room is made of wine racks with open cases sitting on top. The list is sufficiently extensive that I didn't want to nerd out reading it while my companions went thirsty, so I just asked the Maitre'd/sommolier's opinion and she brought a terriffic Medoc AC that was mature and quite reasonable, though I've never heard of it before or since.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed that Cafe Rabelais is fabulous, and their wine list nearly as remarkable as the place itself: the entire perimeter of the dining room is made of wine racks with open cases sitting on top. The list is sufficiently extensive that I didn't want to nerd out reading it while my companions went thirsty, so I just asked the Maitre'd/sommolier's opinion and she brought a terriffic Medoc AC that was mature and quite reasonable, though I've never heard of it before or since.

Look forward to our next visit to Veritas--so many don't know what they are missing!! See you soon! :biggrin:

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.