• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good source for bones for stock

What's the best place downtown to get veal and beef bones for make stocks, jus, etc.? Just in quantities for a home cook - 6-8 lbs. I shop at Ottomanelli's on Bleecker once a week or so, and occasionally the small place on Jones St (name escapes me right now). How does it work - do you buy them, or can regulars just ask for them? If that's the case I probably need to spend more time talking with the guys at Ottomanelli's so they can get to know me. Or, if you buy them, what do they run? Will they chop them up and such too? Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mark D Smith

New York, New York

Blog: Apricot Custard

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

What's the best place downtown to get veal and beef bones for make stocks, jus, etc.?  Just in quantities for a home cook - 6-8 lbs.  I shop at Ottomanelli's on Bleecker once a week or so, and occasionally the small place on Jones St (name escapes me right now).  How does it work - do you buy them, or can regulars just ask for them?  If that's the case I probably need to spend more time talking with the guys at Ottomanelli's so they can get to know me.  Or, if you buy them, what do they run?  Will they chop them up and such too?  Thanks!

I don't know anything downtown, but in my experience people are happy to either give or sell you bones (it's never run me more than 2 dollars-ish a pound, which I guess is too much for bones, but there you are) if you just ask. I suppose being a regular might get you them free.

I know that you can veal neck bones from Fresh Direct for like $2 per pound... I keep saying that I need to go to Ottomanelli to see what they charge, but haven't made it there... I'm not a regular there, but they know me by face... I'll be curious to hear what you found...