• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurant in city line/main line

We're taking my wife's aunt out to dinner later in May (in 2 weeks). She lives in Northern Philly, near City Line Ave. Is this called the Main line? Our Philly geography is weak. Any suggestions in that area?

The Main Line is part of Route 30, west of the city. City Line Ave. is Route 1. The two do intersect, but that's probably not near where you'll be. I don't suppose you can give us a cross-street or the name of her neighborhood? 'Northern Philly' covers a lot of real estate.

Yep, that's the Main Line, all right.

Unfortunately, the Main Line restaurant scene-- at least, in that area of the Main Line-- isn't so great. Sang Kee in Wynnewood isn't bad for Chinese, and it's definitely convenient.

What kind of cuisine are you looking for?

How far are you looking to travel?

Is there a budget you are looking to stay within?

Are you looking for a place with a liquor license or do you prefer a BYO?

Depending on your answer, there are some good options like Savona, Blackfish, etc.

We like New American or bistro French, BYO or liquor license OK, somewhat close to the address given . We can take entrees in the $22-27 range on average. A nice place, but not overly formal or stuffy or special event. Ideas?

We like New American or bistro French, BYO or liquor license OK, somewhat close to the address given . We can take entrees in the $22-27 range on average. A nice place, but not overly formal or stuffy or special event. Ideas?

For New American there's Sola, a BYOB on Rt. 30 in Bryn Mawr (about 15 minutes west of Wynnewood). Small and low-key with excellent food, and fits into your price range. Their website shows that they also offer a 3-course prix fixe for $35.

The only French bistro-type place close by is A la Maison (also on Rt. 30 in Ardmore, about 5 minutes closer to Wynnewood), which opened within the last six months or so. Have not been but reviews seem to be mixed.

Try Plate in Suburban Square...

I'll second Plate - we go there with some frequency as it gets major points for proximity. In truth ptions are a few for us who live on the eastern end of the main line. Aldar and Sola are downright gross - just my opinion of course.

Just pick what is convenient for you - you are unlikely to strike gold in my hood.

Dough can sense fear.