• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining In Sweden: Mathias Dahlgren & Oaxen

I want to take a trip to Sweden in order to have dinner at Oaxen, Is it difficult to get a booking here as in will it already be completely booked out for this season?

And also is Mathias Dahlgren definitely worth a visit? I'd be more than happy to make it up to stockholm in order to go if it is. Has anyone been recently?

It is usually no problem at all getting a table at Oaxen in the middle of the week if you reserved a couple of weeks in advance. Dahlgren is possible harder, especially on weekends. Don't see how you would be traveling to Sweden to go to Oaxen without traveling through Stockholm. In other words, if you are going to Oaxen Stockholm is not out of the way and most like it is actually on your way unless you are coming from southern Sweden/Denmark. Either way it is only about 30 minutes to Stockholm from Oaxen once you have left the island by ferry.

It is usually no problem at all getting a table at Oaxen in the middle of the week if you reserved a couple of weeks in advance. Dahlgren is possible harder, especially on weekends. Don't see how you would be traveling to Sweden to go to Oaxen without traveling through Stockholm. In other words, if you are going to Oaxen Stockholm is not out of the way and most like it is actually on your way unless you are coming from southern Sweden/Denmark.  Either way it is only about 30 minutes to Stockholm from Oaxen once you have left the island by ferry.

cheers thanks, i have booked oaxen and will give dahlgren a call, i wont be going till august so hopefully will get a table. What should one expect from oaxen ? are we talking a world class meal?

It is usually no problem at all getting a table at Oaxen in the middle of the week if you reserved a couple of weeks in advance. Dahlgren is possible harder, especially on weekends. Don't see how you would be traveling to Sweden to go to Oaxen without traveling through Stockholm. In other words, if you are going to Oaxen Stockholm is not out of the way and most like it is actually on your way unless you are coming from southern Sweden/Denmark.  Either way it is only about 30 minutes to Stockholm from Oaxen once you have left the island by ferry.

cheers thanks, i have booked oaxen and will give dahlgren a call, i wont be going till august so hopefully will get a table. What should one expect from oaxen ? are we talking a world class meal?

In my opinion, no. While he has become more restrained I find his cuisine still a little overcomplex and more focused on technique than actual flavors. But the setting and service are fine and the meal will be enjoyable. But I don't think you will be blown away unless its the first time you encounter a dry ice fog with your dessert.

You should also plan your travel to/from Oaxen in advance as public transportation is not that great and you don't want to be driving after drinking in Sweden (or anyother country in my opinion). You can stay overnight at Oaxen on a boat that has been converted to a designer hotel owned by the restaurant. Be sure to take a walk around the island before dinner. It only takes about 30 minutes and is very beautiful.

Edited by mdibiaso (log)

We dined at Mathias Dahlgren last August and loved it. It was not just that the food was so imaginative and well executed. There was a joie de vivre about it :rolleyes: which didn't fit the Swedish stereotype. We also liked Leijontornet.

Michael

www.epicures.wordpress.com