• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this the Cheapest 4 Course Menu Around?

Just enjoyed a lovely Bank Holiday lunch at Nigel Haworth's Northcote Manor. Their 4-course lunch was £30, but with this voucher we paid £25 each + wine - http://www.northcote.com/restaurant/restaurant-offer.htm. The offer's on all through May.

We had:

Selection of canapes

Starter

- Ascroft’s Cauliflower Soup, Blue Cheese Fritters

Lovely light, foamed soup, cheese fritter was a bit cloggy though.

First Course

- Muncaster Crab Ravioli, Sweet & Sour Tomatoes, Garden Wild Rocket,

Lobster Foam

Good pasta, lovely crab, the tomatoes were a little sharp, but nice contrast.

- Potato Wrapped Goosnargh Cornfed Duck, Lentils, Bacon Foam

Very rich, but small enough not to be too rich. Good flavours.

Main Course

- Roast Sirloin of Bowland Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast and Purée Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Roast Gravy

Hearty portion, beautifully tender beef, light yorkshire pud, roast potatoes not as good as mine though.

- Roast Haunch & Faggot of Bowland Venison, Ascrofts Red Beetroot, Broad

Beans, Forest Mushrooms

Perfectly cooked haunch and tasty, herby faggot.

Desserts

- Lemon Meringue Pie, Lemon Sorbet

Nice and light, very tart filling, served with 'citrus caviar'

- Melting Chocolate Pudding, White Chocolate Sauce, Double Cream

Soft centre, everything you'd want from a chocolate dessert.

Freshly Ground Northcote Blended Coffee served with Eccles Cakes

Can anyone beat that for a bargain?

Oh, apart from Michael Caines at the Manchester Abode which we're also visiting next weekend - £12 a head for their grazing menu or £18 with wine. Credit Crunch Britain suits me.

JE

• 1 month later...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, his Great British Menu dishes now appear on the dinner menu. And Mrs H is taking me for my birthday in August - but the hotpot isnt on the tasting menu (I may have to ask for swapsies).

John Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

I'm originally from Accrington which is close to Northcote and apparently Haworth's home town (this figures from the accent but I'm not sure on facts).

I went to a wedding at reception at Northcote manner some years ago which included an evening barbeque. There was amongst other things, marinated lamb grilled as a whole piece and sliced up - still pink and moist with charred edges. It was simply amazing and had a very big impression on me as I was only a teenager, it was a meal which has really stayed with me.

Since my earlier post, a friend (who is fan of the restaurant and hotel) mentions she took her elderly mother for afternoon tea as a birthday present. Service was poor and quantity/selection miserly - one cake each and a couple of small sandwiches. In her view (and mine) a rip-off at eighteen quid.

John Hartley

Since my earlier post, a friend (who is fan of the restaurant and hotel) mentions she took her elderly mother for afternoon tea as a birthday present. Service was poor and quantity/selection miserly - one cake each and a couple of small sandwiches. In her view (and mine) a rip-off at eighteen quid.

John, it wasn't your daughter was it...? :biggrin: