• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IS chocovision worth it?

pringle007

If you're looking at the model like I have, (the Rev 2), it's good if you only are doing very small batches. It only melts 1.5 lbs of chocolate at a time (if you're lucky), and believe me, 1.5 lbs of chocolate isn't very much.

If you're doing chocolate on a commercial scale, then the Rev 2 isn't for you. I'd invest in a commercial grade machine.

I have nothing but negative criticism for Chocovision. I had a terrible experience with them. They were great until I had problems such as receiving a machine that did not work, returning it, and then having exactly the same problem with the next machine they sent me. They agreed to refund my shipping costs...which they NEVER did. Either purchase a Hilliards or a melter but stay away from chocovision. That's my advice.

I have the X3210- two of them. I know the service is awful and I also had a "fight" with them about something. But my machines do work and do help me. I guess if a place has a similar version and better customer service I would rather go with them. But in general, a tabletop temperer is convenient.

I'll put my 2 cents in the cocovision (1.5 lbs capacity) not worth buying. I did purchase Hillards Little Dipper and I love it. For molding it's a bit messy but not that bad. I've had mine for 4 years and nothing has gone wrong yet. It's a workhorse....That's my opinion. Do your research before you buy. I'm stuck with that small cocovision that I paid $400.00 for and I don't even use it. Waste of money.

Rena

I've had a Rev2 for about 4 years now. I had problems with the first Rev2 that I got (motor burned out within the first week), but I received a replacement unit from Chocovision the next day. Chocovision's service people were very responsive to me and immediately replaced the defective unit at no cost to me. This one has been going strong for years now with absolutely no problems. My only issue is capacity since the Rev2 can only temper up to 1.5 pounds of chocolate. I knew that when I bought it though, but just couldn't afford a bigger unit. Capacity is less of an issue (but still an issue) now that I learned that you can just add melted untempered chocolate to the the tempered chocolate in the machine and still maintain the temper. I'm not using the unit in a commercial setting, but I do use it at least two or three times a week for 5-6 hours each time. The unit does a good job tempering and is convenient.

I've had my Rev 2 for about 3 years and use it often. Mine has been very reliable and I've purchased a 2nd bowl/baffle so that I can pull out one bowl after tempering for dipping pieces and start to melt another chocolate. I bought the Rev 2 at the time because I didn't expect to need more capacity. Now I'm using it several times a week and run for hours on weekends when I do most of my production.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

My opinion is no.

- For a small one, it's not enough capacity to do molded chocolates, unless you do as Lior does and constantly add melted chocolate to it.

The 'container' is not big enough to dump your excess chocolate directly either. Any speed increase or streamlining helps, especially in a long day of making chocolates.

- For a big one, it's way more expensive than the mostly equivalent Mol D'art melter.

- ACMC (which I also have) works great, and is cheaper. Maybe a little less glamorous or fancy, but it does the whole temperature control thing and is rock solid reputation.

- Once you get better, I don' t think the temperer does anything a mol d'art doesn't do except for filter out the little chunks of seed chocolate better (IMO).

To put my opinion in context, I am not a pro and my output capacity is 12 molds of chocolates/day (or else 24) when I do it.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

I bought one of the last 'Sinsation' models just after the change to the Revolation name at a closeout price - $250.00 shipped.

For that price, it's been worth it. I've never had much skill at tempering, and this machine got me over the hump. It's very slow going, though - if I made chocolates more than a few times a year I'm sure I'd get frustrated with the pace and limits of a 1.5 # capacity, and if I'd had to pay list price I'm not sure I'd still consider it a bargain. I certainly wouldn't consider it for any sort of commercial production.

That said, I've been using it for 4 years or so and not had any trouble, and with Lior's tip in this thread may well find new life in it.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I started with a Sinsation Machine many years ago and found it did not have the capacity I needed and the noise of the darn thing gave me a headache after a couple of batches of tempered chocolate. It is like listening to a blow dryer run, and after an hour or two I couldn't take it anymore!

So I have gone the melter way. I do pull it out now and again to temper a little bit of chocolate if I am using it for a decorative affect on top of the chocolates I am making. I usually put the sinsation in a nearby room where I can hear it in a distance but don't have to listen to the machine.

It is handy for some little tasks but not for my main work. For the price, for what I have ended up using it for, it is not for me.

If you are going to do more than 2 dozen in a day then don't bother, but if you are doing less, and don't have to melt a large volume of chocolate then it will do. You have to decide about the price.

Thank you all so much! Excellent, honest opinions. And great advice on other temper machiine makers to check out!

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Well, I'm new here, at least at being able to post :).

But, I just received the Revolation Delta, and used it for the first time today. I am impressed so far.

I use El Rey exclusively and the only thing I changed temp wise on the machine was when it was in temper mode I raised it from the factory setting of 88.7 to 90 degrees. The set melt temp is 108 and that is in the range that El Rey recommends.

My molds all look great, but will find out tomorrow when I fill and seal them.

I was rather surprised at how quiet it is. I had heard that a lot of the smaller machines were really loud so I was worried about that. But, hardly any noise.

I had issues about spending that much money, but I needed a machine to help me with production, and will just hope things keep going as well as they did today.

I was more impressed with this machine being computer controlled with a fan for temp regulation. Some of the ones I've read about use a light bulb for the heat source.

I have no idea about customer service yet, so I can't comment on that.

As far as service is concerned, I have had the best treatment by Chocovision.

Although my machine was purchased on Ebay from a dealer...that is not from Chocovision...they honored a warranty that I didn't even know I was entitled to, replacing a defective baffle unit. The little temperature metal piece came loose after just a few usings. I had no idea that it would do so.

Then when I purchased a second unit months later, they sent me a baffle with the same unfortunate temperature piece. I phoned in some despair over this problem. Chocovision then told me to keep it, and they sent me yet another unit and with a gift for my trouble... a set of dipping forks, the one that Tomric sells for $35 or something. I was stunned when I unwrapped them.

Anyhow, I was truly amazed at the trouble they took on my behalf, especially when I bought the original unit on Ebay for less than half of the regular price.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Hello

I am also interested in buying either the Rev X3210 or the Delta.

Rwood, could you please let me know how you are getting on with the Delta and if you have had any problems since it has been a few weeks now.

Also, Lior/Rwood, do you use seeds or block chocolates as suggested by the manufactures. This is of a little concern for me as I only buy seed and would not want to have to buy chocolate blocks to use with the machine.

Is it possible to melt the chocolate to a certain point in the microwave and then pour it into the tempering machine to take it up to required temperature so as to save time?

Any information you could office on the machine would be really helpful. I am in Nigeria and once I buy the tempering machine it would not be very easy getting replacement parts from the US so I need to make the right decision. Does anyone know if Chocovision offers demos?

Finally, I am in Chicago next week and would really appreciate it if there is anyone in the area with either of the tempering machines so that I can see how exactly it works.

Thanks for your help

+234 708 967 3839

info@chocolatiers-wonders.com

www.chocolatiers-wonders.com

Hi. I can fully understand being far away from technician help and tis can be sticky. That being said, the Delta is a newer version and I think better. I would trade mine in for one right away. I usually use seed. No problem and more common to.

Yes you can melt in micro and then pur in, but I don't find the need to. I think getting two bowls for switching quickly between chocolate types is clever. Get two baffles or if it gets too expensive, then get two of the smaller parts to be safe. Their shipping costs for even a thumb sized piece to abroad is earthquakingly ridiculous.

Hello

I am also interested in buying either the Rev X3210 or the Delta.

Rwood, could you please let me know how you are getting on with the Delta and if you have had any problems since it has been a few weeks now.

Also, Lior/Rwood, do you use seeds or block chocolates as suggested by the manufactures. This is of a little concern for me as I only buy seed and would not want to have to buy chocolate blocks to use with the machine.

Is it possible to melt the chocolate to a certain point in the microwave and then pour it into the tempering machine to take it up to required temperature so as to save time?

Any information you could office on the machine would be really helpful. I am in Nigeria and once I buy the tempering machine it would not be very easy getting replacement parts from the US so I need to make the right decision. Does anyone know if Chocovision offers demos?

Finally, I am in Chicago next week and would really appreciate it if there is anyone in the area with either of the tempering machines so that I can see how exactly it works.

Thanks for your help

So far, the machine is still doing very well. My only problem I have had is with cocoa butter in the molds sticking. I've been tweaking it a lot, and have found that the factory setting of 88.7 for the temper is too low for the cocoa butter to adhere properly. I've raised it to 90 and it was much better. I only had a few losses. I may still raise it a little higher, may a half of a degree. I think depending on the chocolate you use, you may have to experiment to find the right temperatures for your brand.

I'm only using block chocolate now. The machine recommends that, and I can see that the callets might tend to get stuck more. I have thrown bits and pieces in there, and they might slip past the baffle, but still melt down.

I don't think the machine takes that long to get through the entire process. It has three choices, the first just melts down to the temper point, and is pretty fast. I tend to use the second, because if the leftover chocolate is not in temper, this will retemper properly.

I did try the overnight mode, which is supposed to help save time the next day. The chocolate retempered fine, but I did notice it had a strange look to it, not sure how to explain it. Probably was getting overworked. All my molded pieces were still very shiny, so no ill effects. I don't know if I would use it that often though.

I am very happy with it so far. I ordered mine from a company that had a business pack that could be ordered with it. It included two of everything (bowls, baffles, knobs, etc) as well as dipping forks. I think they sell on Ebay as well.

I'm only using block chocolate now.  The machine recommends that, and I can see that the callets might tend to get stuck more.  I have thrown bits and pieces in there, and they might slip past the baffle, but still melt down.

While I don't have an X3210, I do use callets in my Rev 2. They work quite well, but you have to be careful not to place too much behind the baffle or else it tends to start to crawl over the top.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'm only using block chocolate now.  The machine recommends that, and I can see that the callets might tend to get stuck more.  I have thrown bits and pieces in there, and they might slip past the baffle, but still melt down.

While I don't have an X3210, I do use callets in my Rev 2. They work quite well, but you have to be careful not to place too much behind the baffle or else it tends to start to crawl over the top.

Yeah, that's the thing that I've noticed. If the bits are too small, they get pushed up over the top. I have to keep poking them back down. I think that's why I just stick with the block.

Hello, I am also new to this and have a question: What is the differnce between the "melter" and the "temperer". I can gues that the temperer does just that, so why would anyone want to use a melter? Is that for keeping already tempered yummy chocolate in temper?

What is the price difference between a temperer and a melter with similar capacities?

And one last question: How long does it take? Like if I used an X3210 with 5 pounds of chocolate, how long would it take to go from solid to liquid tempered ready to use yummy chocolate?

Thanks,

Michael

I think melters are supposed to be much much cheaper than temperers, and if you have to fuss around with your temperer anyway, adjusting the holding temp and all, maybe a melter isn't that much more work. With a melter, you melt your chocolate, then take it out and table or seed it as you like, turn down the melter and use it to hold the chocolate at working temperature. Also no moving parts and nothing to break.

Hello, I am also new to this and have a question: What is the differnce between the "melter" and the "temperer". I can gues that the temperer does just that, so why would anyone want to use a melter? Is that for keeping already tempered yummy chocolate in temper?

What is the price difference between a temperer and a melter with similar capacities?

And one last question: How long does it take? Like if I used an X3210 with 5 pounds of chocolate, how long would it take to go from solid to liquid tempered ready to use yummy chocolate?

Thanks,

Michael

It would take approx 1.5 hours for the chocolate to be ready to use.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com