• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving up in the world of stars

Frege

Here is a question. What restaurant in Paris which currently has one Michelin star (or none) do you think is most likely to ascend to the 3-star status in the foreseeable future? What chef or chefs do you see -given their cooking now - on that trajectory.

Frédéric Robert at La Grande Cascade.

Julot, you've been highly recommending La Grande Cascade. Have you had the menu du marche or the tasting menu or ordered off the carte?

Frédéric Robert at La Grande Cascade.

Julot, you've been highly recommending La Grande Cascade. Have you had the menu du marche or the tasting menu or ordered off the carte?

Perhaps check out the April/May "Cuisine et Vins de France" magazine for a spread on Robert, including description of the dining room and the procedure for recreating one of his signature plates: Selle d'agneau farcie. Lovely.

eGullet member #80.

I had the 135€ "middle" menu with the 70€ wine pairing. The wine pairing was not as interesting as the food, and a teetotaler like me will skip the wine next time, eventhough they have some nice bottles at decent prices. I know Robert enough to be sure that nothing he does is subpar, so I am pretty confident that the menu du marché will be as awesome as the rest.

And here are the pictures from that meal:

http://picasaweb.google.fr/ZeJulot/LaGrandeCascade#

Marc -- you can judge by yourself how similar his cooking is to the Lucas Carton. Some techniques are pretty much the same, like the vermicelli wrapping the tuna or the codfish fritter. Basically, the technical mastering is the same. Recipes are different, and, I'm not going to lie, Robert is no Senderens (especially when it comes to wine pairing). But this is very, very good. (PS -- I'm back).

Pictures, alas, better on La cascade's website.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)