• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HACCP Plans

Qwerty

Anyone here have any experience with developing HAACP plans? Is it something that can be done by the chefs and implemented on site, or is it something that has to be pre-approved by the board of health?

I'm asking because, at my new job, we have a chamber vacuum sealer that they don't use at all because they were told that they would need a HAACP plan (for botulism, mainly) and they were apparently unwilling to develop one. I told my bosses I would do it/look into it. I'm not even talking about cooking sous vide or anything (at least not yet :) ) but I think a chamber sealer is valuable for things like storage, compression, marinating, etc. It just kills me that they have one (barely used) going to waste.

I'm reaching out to you guys because you all may have been in this position before and would know where to start.

Is it just something we/I make, post so everyone can see it, and then when the inspector comes and asks questions we can show it to him or her? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks for the help.

Thats a great start, thank you.

My other question is--do we have to inform the local regulatory body of the HAACP plan, or is it enough to have it in place so that it will meet the satisfaction of the health inspector when he or she asks?

Is a HAACP plan an official document that must meet federal/state/local regulations, or is it up to the individual food establishment to come up with it, so long as it satisfies the concerns of the local guys?

I know that people here in Seattle who need to do HACCP go through our local health department - why don't you call yours?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Yes, I would check with the local health department.

I did work up some HACCP plans when I was in university -- it took some time but wasn't hard to do. The thing is, if you're not "HACCP certified" and want to use the plan internally, I don't think you'd have to go through any health department -- but I don't know for sure and it's always good (and easy) to phone and check.

In my last ServSafe class, the schedule of classes showed a specific HACCP course offered to help people write plans that pass muster. Our instructor mentioned in the course of the day that she consults with companies who want to be HACCP certified. You might not need the official certification but the plan would be the same. Maybe your local ServSafe instructor can answer your question, and certainly your local BOH could.

I'm in Baltimore County, so what I tell you may or may not apply in your jurisdiction.

HACCP plans are essentially universal. They are plans that specify your recipe and procedures and identify hazards and critical control points - essentially, highlights where there could be problems in your procedures and the methods you will employ to minimize the hazards.

There are several resources on the Internet, as well as the ServSafe manual that show examples of HACCP plans. Use them as your guide. You will need to create a HACCP plan for all of your recipes and keep them in a book for handy reference, and to show your inspector. You may also need to furnish them with a copy, but that depends on your jurisdiction.

Really, the advice about talking with your local inspectors is the best bet. Be open, be friendly and work with them. Most inspectors are quite helpful and only turn into your enemy when you don't work with them, lie or are just difficult to deal with.

Any HACCP plans are only as good as the devotion to them. Yes you need to figure out your critical points and how best to deal with them-- like are you going to measure temps of everything coming in the backdoor and inspect every case of frozen product for temp. abuse.

The big thing is that you need to take temps and do inspections and RECORD them at every critical point. Any health inspector seeing extensive record keeping and stellar cleanliness would assume proper HACCP procedure.

It requires constant vigilance and everyone on the same page to be successful.

I think Red Lobster has developed and put into use a plan company wide. See if you can find anyone who works there.

Best of luck. I would be interested in how things work out for you.

• 2 years later...

From the course I did at culinary school, it seems to me that HACCP is just common sense with the volume turned up to 12.

In large businesses it is very practical when the scale is hard to control and you're dealing with any number of unknown variables. However, in small businesses it seems to me to be far too labour intensive and costly to carry out properly, almost making it a waste of time that could be better spent.

I'm not saying it is useless, I'm just saying that you should definately consider how vigilant you can afford to be, if you can't keep on top of it, then there's no point.

James.

• 1 year later...