• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemongrass Tea

Kerry Beal

Last night we had dinner at a wonderful Thai restaurant in Toronto and enjoyed lemongrass tea with our meal. The owner of the restaurant assured us that they brew the tea themselves (ie it's not a reconstituted product). It was a bit sweet and wonderfully redolent of lemongrass.

So how does one brew lemongrass tea? Is it the fresh herb, dried, frozen? And what do you suppose the sweetener would be?

When I've made it, I just steep freshly chopped lemongrass in boiling water, then cool. I sweeten it with whatever's on hand - a little brown sugar, or palm sugar. I like mine with fresh lime juice squeezed in as well.

When I've made it, I just steep freshly chopped lemongrass in boiling water, then cool. I sweeten it with whatever's on hand - a little brown sugar, or palm sugar. I like mine with fresh lime juice squeezed in as well.

I have lemongrass growing in my front yard and all I do is add some of the green leaves to boiling water and sweeten with honey or sugar. Lemon verbena has a similar flavor. Try it with fresh mint, it goes well together.

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

If the lemongrass is fairly fresh, three or four stalks, crushed and chopped to a litre of water, steeped in boiling water for about 10 minutes should yield a fairly strong infusion. If you can, get it from an Asian market for better freshness - the stuff from the Superstore, at least the kind I found in Nova Scotia, is sad and tough. I had to double those quantities to get a drink I was happy with. Sugar to taste, of course.

I kept a lemongrass plant going in a pot in my apartment here in Japan for a year - have you thought of growing some this summer? Is it possible in Canada?

If the lemongrass is fairly fresh, three or four stalks, crushed and chopped to a litre of water, steeped in boiling water for about 10 minutes should yield a fairly strong infusion. If you can, get it from an Asian market for better freshness - the stuff from the Superstore, at least the kind I found in Nova Scotia, is sad and tough. I had to double those quantities to get a drink I was happy with. Sugar to taste, of course.

I kept a lemongrass plant going in a pot in my apartment here in Japan for a year - have you thought of growing some this summer? Is it possible in Canada?

It probably would be possible here in the summer - I tend not to do well overwintering stuff in the house - between the cats and my inability to remember to water anything.

I like to really punch the flavor so when I make it at the cafe I bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then cover and steep overnight. I always finish with whatever syrup is laying around from candying (ginger or kumquat typically). I also run through my fine mesh chinois or sack cloth to filter it a bit. Oh, and I bruise all of my stalks really well first.

So how much lemon grass to how much water (says she who doesn't have lemon grass growing in her yard and will have to buy it)?

I find that lemon verbena stores much better, retaining its aroma even after it is dried, so this would be my alternative in Canadian winters. Agree with nakji with the amount of lemongrass to use. I just take 3-4 small pieces that fit into my teacup then pour boiling water over them.

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Oh, and I bruise all of my stalks really well first.

Yes, I think this step is really important; Overnight steeping will give you a nice strong product that will stand up to a lot of ice. I hate ice in my drinks, so I may prefer a weaker drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a couple of stalks of lemongrass into water last week - roots are forming already. They were pretty sad looking stalks too - so I'm thrilled. I've put them in vermiculite now - a bit more root growth and I'll plant them outside.