• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for wood sawdust for smoking

nathanm

I need to find a supply of wood sawdust (or very fine chips) for smoking meats. I am particularly interested in oak, apple and hickory.

I want to buy some large quantites - i.e. 50 lb sack - not the tiny little bags that are sold for use with home barbeques.

Does anybody have recommended suppliers?

Nathan

I need to find a supply of wood sawdust (or very fine chips) for smoking meats.  I am particularly interested in oak, apple and hickory.

I want to buy some large quantites - i.e. 50 lb sack - not the tiny little bags that are sold for use with home barbeques.

Does anybody have recommended suppliers?

Find a local sawmill. They often will let folks carry away as much scrap and chips and shavings as they like.

I use a Traeger grill: http://www.traegergrills.com/dealer.cfm .

They use pelletized saw dust for their pellets. The come in 20 an 40 # bags. The 20# is about $15. I think they would work for you as I have used them in a gas Weber.

I would follow devlen's advice if I were in the hardwood country he lives in but here in Washington (state), I think the fir and hemlock saw dust would not taste very good.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

Being a furniture maker myself, you have quite a dilemma, even if it isn't obvious: Most shops don't deal with only one type of wood at a time; we might make a cherry table, an oak chair, a walnut sideboard, with all those chips/dust going into the same dust/chip collector. You definitely DON'T want the walnut stuff because it's poisonous. Besides that, will you accept the possible and likely mix of wood species? If so, then find a local shop and ask them for what they will give you, and it should be free.

Ray