• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Cookies

LaMiaCucina

When freezing cookies, have you found that it makes a difference whether or not you freeze in the paper cups? Do the cups get "wet" when defrosting? These are cookies that are not baked in the cups, but for serving purposes only. Normally for my Christmas baking, I do not use the cups, but for this event, I need to use them.

However, that brings up another question - do the paper cups for cookies, such as mini cheesecake cups, hold up when being defrosted? If there is an issue, are there any tricks?

Thanks!

When freezing cookies, have you found that it makes a difference whether or not you freeze in the paper cups?  Do the cups get "wet" when defrosting?  These are cookies that are not baked in the cups, but for serving purposes only.  Normally for my Christmas baking, I do not use the cups, but for this event, I need to use them.

However, that brings up another question - do the paper cups for cookies, such as mini cheesecake cups, hold up when being defrosted?  If there is an issue, are there any tricks?

Thanks!

I find it best to freeze the uncooked dough on a tray and then place them in freezer bags after they are "solid". This lets you pull out just what you need when you need it. You can also take the cookies straight from the freezer to the oven by adjusting the cooking time. I've found it only takes an additional 2 -3 minutes per batch this way and saves a great deal of time.

I believe that the paper cups will become soggy as water condenses if you're thawing the cookies before baking.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I freeze the baked cookies in the paper liners with no problems. However I think I've always used grease proof cups like these.

And I can even test your cheesecake situation for you. I have cheesecake bites in my freezer right now so I'll go put one in a cup and then take it out tomorrow to thaw and see how it does.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

It's true, regular paper cups will get soggy if you freeze cookies in them. I haven't had a problem with silicone-coated cups, and they will work well for mini-cheesecakes.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow