• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you cook sushi (specifically, maki)?

Fat Guy

Okay, so, the food-safety issue aside, say you've got leftover maki that has been held at safe, cool temperatures. Me, I find overnight-refrigerated maki to be unappetizing. What are the alternatives to throwing it out

Get a cat?

I've often wondered about deep-frying maki -- not to salvage it; just because it sounds good. And I assumed it would be seen as some kind of sacriledge, but apparently not.

I can imagine it coated in a light tempura batter, and fried just long enough to crisp it on the outside and warm it slightly or cook it rare in the middle.

That sounds good. I mean, what's not to like about fried rice balls? Minus the batter, it's not substantially different from arancini.

I had arancini made from leftover risotto in mind when I started this topic. I was wondering whether just sauteeing maki in a little oil would yield a Japanese-inflected equivalent.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When I've visited Japan, I was surprised to learn that (a) the traditional Japanese sushi very rarely includes rolls, and (b) when it does, they're generally baked or fried. So I'd say you could. I'd still be nervous, though; one only has to experience food poisoning once to go WAY out of one's way to avoid it again.

:huh:

After 10 years of living in Japan, I've never seen a baked or fried maki zushi. Ever. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I wonder where you've had them. My rule is "Anything fried is good!"

It was in what our Japanese hosts had described as a "traditional" Japanese restaruant in Kyoto, in the Arishiayama area. Sorry, but that's the best I can do; don't remember, and don't seem to have written down the name of the restaurant. Lots of tempura everything; maybe that was their schtick. Damn fine food, though.

Most of the sushi I had there was nigiri.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com