• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's in Princeton area

Trader Joe’s will be opening a new store this summer in the Square at West Windsor shopping center off Route 1 in West Windsor, in the Meadow Road complex that also includes a Lowe’s and a Pier 1.

So as I joked to a friend, we now have the "trinity" of Wegman's; Whole Foods; Trader Joe's within a half mile.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Lucky you.  All of these  are 25 minutes away from me.

Just curious, Cook456. I see your profile says you're from Clifton. Where's there a Wegman's within 25 minutes of Clifton? Woodbridge? That's a bit more than 25 minutes, no? Or is there one closer?

I would definitely be willing to drive a bit from Fair Lawn to a Wegman's, but Woodbridge is a bit of a hike.

As far as Trader Joe's, there's one on Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne. That should be a bit LESS than 25 minutes, no?

And they just opened a new huge Whole Foods in Paramus at the former Bergen Mall. Also probably a bit less than 25 minutes from most parts of Clifton.

I can definitely see Wegman's coming to North Jersey very soon!

• 2 weeks later...

there is a trader joe's on route 17 north in paramus, also. past the container store and the west elm. i take exit 163 off the parkway. it's about 30 seconds (depending on traffic, of course) from the exit. i drive from belleville, and it only takes me 15 minutes. but then, i only go on sundays. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

There is also now a Fairway Market in Paramus, in the old Fashion Center, roughly at 17 & Ridgewood Ave. That is quite similar to Wegmans. Unfortunately it's a tiny bit inferior to the NYC Fairways in some respects (no imported French prunes; don't always seem to carry those real imported Cadbury bars, etc.).

Athena has the right idea -- the Trader Joe's on 17 in Paramus is much more easily accessible than the one in Wayne. I'm technically closer to the one in Wayne or Florham Park, but there are a gazillion traffic lights in the way. There's one coming to Millburn, also, I think, eventually, so that may be marginally closer to me, but if I go to Paramus then I can hit both TJ's and Fairway (and, as mentioned above, there's a Whole Paycheck there too -- bleh).

As for TJ's coming to West Windsor: So, they're finally doing it? They've been talking about opening a store in the greater Princeton area since at least 2002. I guess that's why their prices are so low: They're total cheapskates on real estate, and will wait as long as they have to, if it means they're saving $1/sq. ft. on rent.

There is also now a Fairway Market in Paramus, in the old Fashion Center, roughly at 17 & Ridgewood Ave. That is quite similar to Wegmans. Unfortunately it's a tiny bit inferior to the NYC Fairways in some respects (no imported French prunes; don't always seem to carry those real imported Cadbury bars, etc.).

Athena has the right idea -- the Trader Joe's on 17 in Paramus is much more easily accessible than the one in Wayne. I'm technically closer to the one in Wayne or Florham Park, but there are a gazillion traffic lights in the way. There's one coming to Millburn, also, I think, eventually, so that may be marginally closer to me, but if I go to Paramus then I can hit both TJ's and Fairway (and, as mentioned above, there's a Whole Paycheck there too -- bleh).

As for TJ's coming to West Windsor: So, they're finally doing it? They've been talking about opening a store in the greater Princeton area since at least 2002. I guess that's why their prices are so low: They're total cheapskates on real estate, and will wait as long as they have to, if it means they're saving $1/sq. ft. on rent.

The Fairway/Trader Joe's combination in Paramus is really unbeatable. You can go to Fairway for your deli, meats, and most groceries, and then hit up Trader Joe's for frozen foods and their great and reasonably priced bottled juices. Dried fruits and nuts tend to be a little cheaper at Trader Joe's too. Since Fairway opened, I have spent MUCH less time in the regular supermarkets. (I basically go there to buy soda and maybe butter and yogurt now.) Fairway's sale stuff really is better quality and/or better prices. (Their milk prices are unbeatable!)

Edited by zhelder (log)

I've been going to the Fairway in Paramus on Sunday morning, so no traffic nightmares. I did purchase French apricots, so they might now carry your prunes.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is great news. When I was last there a few months ago, the store manager was doubtful about the prospects of being able to carry wines in this store. She told me only a handful of applicants actually get the proper licensure from the state. Good news indeed, now I can drive right past Joe Canals!!

• 2 months later...

heard that they were stocking the shelves the other night, so wine should be ready for purchase this weekend (if not already today).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde