• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mei Fun with a twist

Doodad

I hit upon and idea the other night while planning a Chinese dinner. We did not really want rice and my wife is looking to cut way back on carbs as summer approaches.

I looked over and I had a spaghetti squash. Perfect. I cut the squash in half, seasoned with homemade curry powder and soy. I laid that cut side down on a baking sheet and rough chopped some vege, oiled them and onto the sheet as well. 375 for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, I threw seasoned pork loin chops on the grill.

Put them all together and it was really good. The taste was right and the combo of roasted vegetable and grilled meat was terrific. I am going to use a larger squash next time though to get longer "noodles."

Also, to get longer noodles, be sure to cut the squash lengthwise, if you're cutting it at all. Me, I just pierce the squash several times all over with a sharp knife tip then cook it whole in the microwave. You do need to turn it over halfway through, but other than that, it's dead easy, and I like the technique because no part of the squash gets dried out.

Also, to get longer noodles, be sure to cut the squash lengthwise, if you're cutting it at all.  Me, I just pierce the squash several times all over with a sharp knife tip then cook it whole in the microwave.  You do need to turn it over halfway through, but other than that, it's dead easy, and I like the technique because no part of the squash gets dried out.

Definitely went lengthwise, it was just a small squash and with just two people now it makes little sense to cook it all.