• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to make shredded chicken

toni

Here's my molè recipe, including how and when I add the chicken. You can substitute many of the ingredients in here to get your tastes, but I designed this recipe more for texture because so many molès are pastey.

5 dried chiles - in New Mexico they're the NM red chiles

3 dried anchos

Toast chiles in dry skillet until starting to smoke and burn. Then soak these in 5 C. boiling water for 30 minutes. I put them in a large bowl and weight them with a cereal bowl to keep them submerged.

1 t. clove - preferrably freshly ground

1 T. freshly ground peppercorn

1/2 t. Oregano

1 T. Ground cinnamon

1/2 Diced onion

6 Diced garlic cloves

Toast all of this in a skilled with a good squirt of canola oil. When the onion starts to soften add all of this plus 1 C. of the chile water to a blender and liquefy.

4 T. Lard

28 oz Crushed tomatoes

Abuelito disc

1 T. Cayenne (or to taste)

1/4 C. Unsweetened cocoa

In large sauce pan melt lard (crisco if you prefer), then add crushed tomatoes, a half of an Abuelita disc, cayenne and cocoa. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the cocoa absorbed.

2 T. Raisins - I use yellow

1/2 C. Almonds, toasted

1/4 C. Sesame seeds

1 T. Dark brown sugar

In blender, add raisins, almonds, sesame and sugar along with remaining chile water. Liquefy. Add to tomato mix and bring to a boil. Right now, salt to taste. When this is all combined, add 6-8 skinless thighs (you don't want any more fat at this point). Bring to a boil, put lid on, turn to low and cook no less than 90 minutes. I normally am busy and simmer for about 2 hours. Cool enough to be able to handle the chicken safely then shred. If I'm in a hurry I use the fork method, if I'm not then the chicken is at room temp and I use my hands which is what I prefer.

Again for me the key is using thigh and having enough fat in the sauce to keep it moist. I've not noticed any difference between short and long cookings, nor super hot or hot cookings...but that may make a difference with breasts. You might also try mixing thigh and breast to de-rich it.

It is so awesome of you to take the time to share your recipe, Gfron1!

I am printing it out and will make this for sure. I like that you suggested mixing thighs and breasts and that is what I'll do. It sounds really good and I'll be sure to let you know how mine turns out. Thank you again sooooo much!