• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions Near Kimmel

rockhopper

We usually eat at home before going.

Can you suggest someplace informal, that you can get in and out in a hour and doesn't break the bank - since the tickets have already done that.

The Good Dog probably fits that bill. It's on 15th between Walnut and Spruce.

Haven't had to dine there in a hurry, but Ted's Montana Grill is right across the street and not that expensive.

Further afield from the Kimmel Center, there's Minar Palace (really good, really cheap Indian) in the 1300 block of Walnut and More Than Just Ice Cream in the 1200 block of Locust (no liquor license). Both are within a 10-minute walk of the Kimmel.

I've heard good things about Du Jour in the Symphony House, but I've never eaten there so can't recommend it. The reborn Girasole is probably above your pay grade for this event.

Copa Too! on 15th btw Locust & Spruce was good, but I don't know whether it still is.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The Good Dog probably fits that bill.  It's on 15th between Walnut and Spruce.

Walnut and Locust.

Outstanding burger, $10. Rest of the menu that price or lower. Loud when it's busy. Lawyers and bike messengers routinely rub shoulders here.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I second the Mercato rec. A good, solid casual Italian BYOB, with handmade pastas, olive oil tasting flights, and terrific personal cooking from R. Evan Turney.

Their website is www.mercatobyob.com, if you want to check the menu.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

A little more expensive, but usually worth it:  Mercato, a cash only byob that takes pre-theatre reservations Sunday through Friday and primarily sushi restaurant Misso (see the menu at MenuPages).

One more place to consider would be Estia. They have a 30 dollar three course pre theatre special served between 5 and 7. Great greek food. Not sure if that is in your price range, but the fish here is superb.

A little more expensive, but usually worth it:  Mercato, a cash only byob that takes pre-theatre reservations Sunday through Friday and primarily sushi restaurant Misso (see the menu at MenuPages).

One more place to consider would be Estia. They have a 30 dollar three course pre theatre special served between 5 and 7. Great greek food. Not sure if that is in your price range, but the fish here is superb.

Estia is great. If you can swing the $30 per person price, the food can't be beat. Good Dog is good but a bit of a hike. If you're really pressed for cash, Argan has decent Moroccan pita-like sandwiches (is it still open?) next to Bonte near the Sofitel.

Estia is great. If you can swing the $30 per person price, the food can't be beat. Good Dog is good but a bit of a hike. If you're really pressed for cash, Argan has decent Moroccan pita-like sandwiches (is it still open?) next to Bonte near the Sofitel.

According to google maps, the Good Dog is .2 miles from the Kimmel Center on foot. It's well under a 3 block walk. Maybe my perceptions are skewed by living in the city and walking everywhere, but that's not a hike to me.

Thank you for the suggestions. My wife just started a job near City Hall so Good Dog was between Kimmel and her workplace. Unfortunately for us they had a special happy hour when we walked in and the place was packed. So no go. (but will in the future without time restraints).

My wife suggested the Indian place you mentioned but to be blunt, I think the orchestra should be the only thing making sound during the concert and not my digestive tract. We'll try that place another time. So we ended up at the Afghan kebab place on Sansom. Its not as good as the Afghan place near the Ritz in Voorhees but it was just right. Aushak is good, the pilau and the kebabs were also good. The server was very nice and since we were the only ones in there it was quiet. And my stomach was quiet during the concert...

A bit off topic: The concert was the best of the year. Simon Rattle and the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Philadelphia Singers are a terrific combination. The Berlioz is tough to pull off and they did it very well. We should be proud of our home town orchestra which earns its position in the top 5 every year.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 1 year later...

I'm going to see Avenue Q at the Kimmel Center on Friday and was thinking about maybe hitting Lolita before the show, but I couldn't really dig much up on them on these boards. Anyone have anything new to add?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

We did wind up going to Lolita. Very solid and the pitcher of blood orange margarita mixer that we had was fantastic.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson