• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking Suggestions for Good Food in the Heartland

Hi all.

Been away a long time - very busy writing and speaking and doing book tour stuff. The 1st book has been such a success the publisher has asked me to do a sequel. So I'm returning to ask y'all for more recommendations.

eGullet members were a big help in finding stories for A Cook's Journey, so I'm hoping that folks will once again chime in with names and places, food and farms all over the midwest. I seek people who "walk the walk" of Slow Food ideals, whether they are actual members of the movement or not.

From Ohio to Oklahoma to North Dakota, the new book will tell the stories of the people who feed us well. Chefs, farmers, ranchers, cheesemakers winemakers, brewers, bakers, etc. etc., anyone and everyone who produces and/or promotes Good, Clean, Fair food.

Drop a suggestion here, or join my Facebook group for the purpose here. I can't wait to hear from you all!

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Here are a few of my favorite in Mid-Missouri:

In my hometown, Moberly, MO, (and actually just down the road from my childhood home) is DanJo Farms.

In and around Columbia, are Patchwork Family Farms and Sho-Me Farms, both of which have really great meat! And the Columbia Farmer's Market is pretty great and trying to expand. They're working on a stimulus project for a permanent pavilion (I see you're on Facebook, too. They have a great group on there).

I don't know if any of these are actually part of the Slow Food Movement, but they do basically follow the guidelines as far as I can tell.

If you're going for more of a gourmet tourism thing, Burger's Smokehouse in California, MO, is a pretty good tour from all I hear.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Here are a few of my favorite in Mid-Missouri:

In my hometown, Moberly, MO, (and actually just down the road from my childhood home) is DanJo Farms.

In and around Columbia...

Also in Columbia, MO, is Patric Chocolate

And I thank Joiei for letting me know about this amazing chocolate.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes didn't tell you about Askinoise chocolates in Springfield, MO. I haven't turned her on to that one yet. Saving it to be a reason to get together with her and share a meal in some obscure little town halfway between Tulsa and Houston, oh God, that means Tyler, Maybe I can talk her into Paris.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

West Michigan has an active local-foods circle. If you PM me I can give you an introduction to these folks, from whom I buy regularly:

Lubbers Family Farm (I'm part of their cow share program)

Crane Dance Farm

Grassfields Cheese (and meats)

And here's our local food guide.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer