• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloom Restaurant

GordonCooks

BLOOM Restaurant – Bloor West Village

2315 Bloor Street West

Found a little, cozy hideaway in the Bloor West Village that was highly recommended by a friend in that neighborhood. I guess it had recently changed hands with new management taking over a few months ago.

Bloom is the kind of place that would be my “local” spot per se. The place my girl and I could get a hearty meal, nice wines, and friendly service for what would be considered a bargain at Toronto prices. A simple, seasonal menu of grilled meats, pastas, salads, and some interesting apps. The pics are a little fuzzy but when 3 people split 6 bottles of wine, things like this happen. If I lived there, I would eat here once a week. The wine list has some well-chosen bottles and attractive price points.

Grilled Calamari w Ratatouille

3482602297_ba39049256.jpg

Smoked Chicken & Corn Crepe

3482602245_c195428afe.jpg

Bison Short Rib

3483418954_9b3b7741fc.jpg

Foie Gras

3483418932_3885d76532.jpg

Beef Tenderloin w Lobster, Bearnaise, spinach over brioche

3483419026_fb5905c521.jpg

Striploin w truffle mash, Asparagus, Shitakes

3483419044_1b61fa55bc.jpg

Duck Breast w Spaetzle, Kale, Blueberry jus

3483419070_fcc3a15f1e.jpg

Cheese, Chocolate Tart, Carrot Cake, Banana Fritters

3483419092_8f564d7eef.jpg

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

GordonCooks -- what were the portion sizes like? I guess the menu is a typical appetizer->main setup? The posted prices seem decent, but first few plates you shot seem pretty small so I wasn't sure if they were doing the small-plates thing. Thanks for the pics and the link. I'm intrigued by the "Bowls" section of the menu.

Edited by Endy' (log)

GordonCooks -- what were the portion sizes like?  I guess the menu is a typical appetizer->main setup?  The posted prices seem decent, but first few plates you shot seem pretty small so I wasn't sure if they were doing the small-plates thing.  Thanks for the pics and the link.  I'm intruiged by the "Bowls" section of the menu.

Portion sizes were quite generous. the apps were a meal alone and I don't think I ate even a half of my strip loin. The bison short rib was entree sized imho. I didn't get any of the bowls but the strip was a 10 oz and the filet was 8 oz or more. The lobster claw meat was nicely sized as well. Desserts were large and you can probably tell by the photo. The owner, Steve is on premise and is the maitre' D. He's a nice guy and must have ran every dish to every table.

So what's the bargain?

Price?

BTW - 2 bottles of wine + that amount of fatty food...hope you drank a lot of water before bed ;)

Yes, price (at least I thought for this type of place.) No need to worry about the water, my body operates like a well oiled machine.

So what's the bargain?

Price?

BTW - 2 bottles of wine + that amount of fatty food...hope you drank a lot of water before bed ;)

Yes, price (at least I thought for this type of place.) No need to worry about the water, my body operates like a well oiled machine.

lol - I realize that price was one of the selling points based on your original post - perhaps I did not clarify - what was the price?

I did not know that red wine and oil can co-exist :wink:

So what's the bargain?

Price?

lol - I realize that price was one of the selling points based on your original post - perhaps I did not clarify - what was the price?

I did not know that red wine and oil can co-exist :wink:

Apps - 11-15, Salads 8-12 Pastas under 20, Mains 24-38, wine prices under what downtown prices are. These are from memory.

I'm a big food picker, never really finishing a whole plate (save for cheese) We took more food back to the hotel than we ate I think.