• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory bread pudding

SobaAddict70

I have a couple bunches of ramps leftover in the frigo and one of the ideas I'm kicking around is making a savory bread pudding.

Bread, eggs, butter, mushrooms, shallots and ramps. Anything else, or does that sound like it's enough?

I have a couple bunches of ramps leftover in the frigo and one of the ideas I'm kicking around is making a savory bread pudding.

Bread, eggs, butter, mushrooms, shallots and ramps.  Anything else, or does that sound like it's enough?

Maybe some swiss cheese, or diced ham? Bacon never hurt anything... Of course, I'm a mad carnivore... :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I like gruyere and and chard (including the stems, the most delicious part imo) for bread pudding. The cheese would definitely be a good addition and so would some chard if you think it would go with the amount of ramps you have. Sounds good--I love savory bread puddings and I love ramps too. I'll have to try the combo.

nunc est bibendum...

I thought about cheese but if I were to add it, I'd probably want to minimize it. Figure maybe 1/3 cup grated?

Bacon's another idea but I've never heard of bacon in bread pudding. :blink: Though ramps go well with pork. Hmmm...

I read about a recipe for French Onion Soup Bread Pudding (obviously, a savory recipe) somewhere on eGullet. I couldn't find it in RecipeGullet. The Food Network has a similar recipe posted on their site, too.

Bacon or ham sounds like a great addition to your recipe.

I'm wondering if you couldn't dice up some skinless chicken breasts for the protein. :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I thought about cheese but if I were to add it, I'd probably want to minimize it.  Figure maybe 1/3 cup grated?

Bacon's another idea but I've never heard of bacon in bread pudding.  :blink:  Though ramps go well with pork.  Hmmm...

Question, not to be a wiseass, but what is French toast but unscrunched-up (deconstructed?) sweet bread pudding? :rolleyes: It's a texture thing to me, precooked bacon to add a nice, salty, smoky crunch. It goes with practically anything! Wish I could taste this when you're done... :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm thinking some sort of dairy (milk, cream, etc.) is going to be used to make a custard base with the eggs for the bread pudding? Don't mean to sound like a smarta**, may be so basic you didn't bother to list.

I always eyeball bread pudding preps, but one tip a dear friend from Louisiana taught be for the BEST bread pudding is to add waaay more liquid than you think you need! When he was taking me through his mother's (sweet) bread pudding recipe, I thought we were going to end up with a hot mess on our hands when we put that sloshing pan in the oven. Instead, it was one of the most delicious, delicately-textured desserts I've ever had...

Yes, there will be dairy in the custard base. No offense taken.

I usually leave out basics because I assume that a good portion of the people who post on eG -- especially on this particular forum -- have a greater depth of culinary knowledge than on other sites.

Isn't a savory bread pudding a strata by another name ?  Personally I like the milk or cream with a little white wine to perk up the flavor.

Exactly!

Some excellent ideas HERE.

I combine bacon, ham (or the more exotic types) cooked crumbled sausage or any other meat, poultry, etc., with mushrooms, cheeses, vegetables.

Artichoke hearts are one of my favorites, love the flavor combined with eggs and cheese.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett