• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Heston coming to London...

I was at Foliage yesterday and the staff at the mandarin oriental were pretty tight lipped about this - neither denying or confirming this rumour. They do have a large storage space on the LG floor which is undergoing some renovation but they did not say what (if any) the purpose was for. Read what you want into this.

I was at Foliage yesterday and the staff at the mandarin oriental were pretty tight lipped about this - neither denying or confirming this rumour. They do have a large storage space on the LG floor which is undergoing some renovation but they did not say what (if any) the purpose was for. Read what you want into this.

With Mr Hayler? he also comments on it on this weeks blog.

With Mr Hayler? he also comments on it on this weeks blog.

Yes that is right.

The thing is with Heston's style at the fat duck is that it doesn't strike me that he needs to be in the restaurant very often. It would be nice to have another world class restaurant in London (and, well, the UK) and I don't see why he couldn't make it work.

No one's mentioning chris staines which seems a bit cold, he's a good chef

S

Apparently staines was quite surprised when the news broke. I agree though that it would be a great shame if heston's restaurant were to be opened at the expense of Foliage.

I would think 'surprised' is a bit of an understatement. He's been loyal to Foliage and given it many years of his career when I'm sure he's had other offers.

S

Just seen this in caterer:

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009...restaurant.html

Not quite sure:

a) If it's believable? My hunch says yes.

b) If it's a good move? For some reason my hunch this time says no...

Any news/thoughts are welcome.

What a tragedy, one of the best restaurants in London now going to be ruined. All HB will do is put his name to it then bomb off around the world and leave someone else to create his gimmicks. I bet Chris Tombling and his team are gutted!

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Just seen this in caterer:

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009...restaurant.html

Not quite sure:

a) If it's believable? My hunch says yes.

b) If it's a good move? For some reason my hunch this time says no...

Any news/thoughts are welcome.

What a tragedy, one of the best restaurants in London now going to be ruined. All HB will do is put his name to it then bomb off around the world and leave someone else to create his gimmicks. I bet Chris Tombling and his team are gutted!

He might well be gutted but who is Chris Tombling?

S

He is the head/executive chef of the Mandarin Oriental London. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist I haven't read anything to suggest that Foliage is shutting down, they do have other dining options at the hotel.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/london/dining/

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

He is the head/executive chef of the Mandarin Oriental London. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist I haven't read anything to suggest that Foliage is shutting down, they do have other dining options at the hotel.

Is he now? I only know of Chris Staines, having not myself eaten in the MO's other, no doubt wonderful, dining options. I don't think anyone has their knickers anywhere but around their waist - this is merely idle chatter - but it seems logical to assume that HB would not want to be on a double bill.

That you have not read of anything to suggest that Foliage is shutting down is not actually proof that it isn't, by the way. Historically that sort of sensitive information is not normally broadcast until the deed is done

S

I also thought I read that when MPW was in residence his restaurant was in another part of the building i.e. not in the Foliage space.

Didn't the Dorchester have two top chefs with Ducasse and Byrne up until recently?

Is he now? I only know of Chris Staines, having not myself eaten in the MO's other, no doubt wonderful, dining options. I don't think anyone has their knickers anywhere but around their waist - this is merely idle chatter - but it seems logical to assume that HB would not want to be on a double bill.

That you have not read of anything to suggest that Foliage is shutting down is not actually proof that it isn't, by the way. Historically that sort of sensitive information is not normally broadcast until the deed is done

S

I haven't suggested that Foliage is or isn't going to shut down. I was merely noting that everybody seemed to be assuming that Foliage would be shutting to make way, this might well prove to be the case it might equally be the case that Hestons restaurant may well be in a different room and Foliage will remain where it is. As Gary mentioned upthread, I had only previously heard of a more casual venture for HB, I don't see that this would clash with Foliage.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I can't help but think 'advisors' are beginning to whisper softly in HB's ear. He has upped the ante on television, increasing screen time and dropping the self-effacing nature which endeared him to people.

The Fat Duck could be one of the world's most profitable 'chains', popping up across the world a la Ramsay or Robuchon. And although HB has publicly said he wouldn't do it, the pursuit of global recognition and lure of ever larger wads being waved under his nose may prove too much.

They certainly have for other chefs.

I also thought I read that when MPW was in residence his restaurant was in another part of the building i.e. not in the Foliage space.

Didn't the Dorchester have two top chefs with Ducasse and Byrne up until recently?

That is indeed true.. MPW's original restaurant is now used as a ballroom.

What is the deal with the Candy and Candy development next door to the Mandarin Oriental.

I haven't been around that way for some time so I don't how far off it is?

But the Mandarin is looking after the catering for the develoment and i'm sure a development of that scale could do with a HB restaurant to lure the wealthy owners in!

Chris Staines has left the building... I mean resigned from Foliage. :(

It is in CatererSearch.

Well,Well,Well,

Shock,

Horror,

Would like to have been a fly on the wall, with this story emerging, can't wait for a bit more news

I'd have resigned too. It was insulting to him. I do hope we see an end to heston mania soon. All this nastiness is putting me off my food.

S

S