• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chiba dining

helenjp

Sorry to kick off with a non-Japanese restaurant.

Son2 and I ate lunch at "Mugi to Budou" (Wheat and Grapes), near Chiba Station east exit. You turn sharp right from the east exit, walk just a few minutes along the tracks, until you see a road leading off to the left - the building is about on that corner, but you should see the entrance to the restaurant on your left as you enter the street.

Here's a Gyao entry on the place.

It does a busy lunchtime trade, and I expect is popular after work as well, featuring handmade pasta, Belgian beer, and a small menu of other items. They had several wines on display that looked interesting, though I didn't check the list.

The seating is divided into several sections, which added some privacy.

Our pasta was extremely good, and the sauces, while a little rich, would be very good with beer. The servings are known to be on the small side, and son2 felt the need to order bread as well as dessert, but for most women, the serving would be just right.

Pasta prices were mostly in the 850-1500 yen range.

We were glad we'd walked past several other places, as we enjoyed the lunch and also the venue.