• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your dream job?

sh_kayam

So what would your dream job be in this business? Dream job, meaning... it doesn't have to be founded in reality or limited by real-life constraints. And assume that you'd magically get gobs of money from it, whatever it is... =)

Having my own small restaurant within 45 minutes of a major city in rural/suburban setting. A decent plot of land next to the restaurant with a fruit orchard, veg and herb garden, and chicken coup. 5 course set menu. and just coast from season to season.

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

Since reality isn't a requirement, I'd like to have a pastry mullet. :raz: Pastry shop in the front, dessert-only (or maybe apps and desserts) restaurant in the back. Having a business like that isn't outside the realm of reality, making enough money for it to survive is what puts it in the fantasy category.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'd like a summer job wandering around the Himalayas looking for pink rock salt.

Tri2Cook, I like "pastry mullet" -- did you invent this expression?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

As far as I know, I did. I've never heard/read it before but I have a solid track record of finding every "original" idea I have already done by 1000 other people when I search them on google so who knows. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have been out of the industry for quite a few years now. And my idea of a dream job varied from one extreme to another over the years. Yet, recently I had dinner at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal and found myself wishing I could join the cooks on that hot and hectic line. No doubt they would run circles around me now but at that moment I could not imagine a more fulfilling experience.

Robert R

What is it about your dream job that makes it "dreamy" to you? Does it usually have something to do with being challenged? Or challenged only in a very specific ways that you like to be challenged in... and if so, what are those things?

If it's a specific restaurant, what exactly is it about the restaurant that would make it your dream job?

What is it about your dream job that makes it "dreamy" to you? Does it usually have something to do with being challenged? Or challenged only in a very specific ways that you like to be challenged in... and if so, what are those things?

If it's a specific restaurant, what exactly is it about the restaurant that would make it your dream job?

It's not reallya restaurant but I would love to have my own deli. A nice little place selling cured meats, olives, olive oils, vinegars, seafood products (smoked & cured products and the like), wines, patisserie/boulangerie section, foie gras, pastas, cous cous, chocolates, spices, tea, books, premade baguettes, sushi etc etc.

It would:

* Be open 6 days a week (5 days 8-5 & 1 day (saturday) 8-12

* Have one or two staff on each section

* Have hams on racks for tastings, free product tastings etc

* Our own sommelier for wine tastings

* Our own baker & patissiere for the breads & pastries and eventually our own chocolatier for chocolates

* cooking classes

We would also supply products to restaurants.

It's a bit of a dream but I think it is very much possible.

It's not reallya restaurant but I would love to have my own deli. A nice little place selling cured meats, olives, olive oils, vinegars, seafood products (smoked & cured products and the like), wines, patisserie/boulangerie section, foie gras, pastas, cous cous, chocolates, spices, tea, books, premade baguettes, sushi etc etc.

It would:

* Our own baker & patissiere for the breads & pastries and eventually our own chocolatier for chocolates

* cooking classes

Something like this?

It would:

* cooking classes

Something like this?

Similar. Wouldn't have a sit down area for meals per se but would definetely sell small items for take away. And it would be a lot cosier I think. Kind of like when you walk in its very personal and up close as though it's it's own small community. People would chat with each other and taste food together etc etc.

I would test drive expensive motorcycles and cars on my way to testing the world's finest restaurants.  I would dictate my findings to someone who would write the article for me.

Kind of a Top Gear meats No reservations?

Damn thats sweet, who wouldnt want that.

My dream is a chef at a Canadian fishing camp where id serve breakfast and dinner and get a few hours in the wildeness fishing and kayaking.

As far as I know, I did. I've never heard/read it before but I have a solid track record of finding every "original" idea I have already done by 1000 other people when I search them on google so who knows. :biggrin:

Good news! Google says it's all you!

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted to either own a fine gourmet food shop, or a shop that made only pies or be a food writer. I like the idea of food writer the most...but food writing is so hard to get into so the probably of being sucessful at it is slim. Now the other two is not unreasonable, out of those two I would go with gourmet food shop.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

--ice cream flavor designer

--small-town cafe (meat-n-three joint serving southern & cajun home cooking, focusing on pot cooking), but I only want to devise the menu, not do the actual cooking, serving, or managing of the place!

--simple, in-home cooking school for individuals/very small groups

Executive Director of the eGullet Society, freelance writer, occasional teacher . . .

But with a lot more money.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Owning a small place, upscale, completely from scratch, dinner five nights a week, forty seats, thousand selection wine list, steady regular clientelle, positive cash flow, no drama, no having the gas and electric cut off by the power company, no raids by the department of revenue for nonpayment of taxes...

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I would live on a cruise ship serving exquisite food, and my job would be to taste everything served and to make menu suggestions which the kitchens/chefs would prepare for my approval. Job description would be "Cuisine Goddess". Sigh.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I think I could live comfortably as the Executive Chef on a large private yacht--with a crew large enough to suggest menu items and talented enough to cook anything suggested to them.

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

Taking over a schools districts cafeterias, hiring my own staff, picking my purveyors, and feeding the kids healthy good food, teaching them how to eat again. And then opening a cafeteria in the projects, hiring and training the local residents, and doing the same.

I would live on a cruise ship serving exquisite food, and my job would be to taste everything served and to make menu suggestions which the kitchens/chefs would prepare for my approval.  Job description would be "Cuisine Goddess".  Sigh.

I like the way you think. :smile:

In a similar vein, having a bar/restaurant in a state where regular retail were possible and all manner of obscure and not-so-obscure cocktail ingredients were available and affordable. A creative and accessible chef that had a similar vision and was committed to having both the food and beverage menus succeed/function together on equal footing, and was committed to sourcing the very best products with which to do that.

I'm lucky enough to already have part of this be true. If only I could do something about the PLCB my life would be complete...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...

Small pub (25-30 seats tops)with 10 item menu (11 counting daily special) consisting of small-ish plates that changes seasonally. An old-school bartender who knows the classics and has some brewery connections. Nothing in the way of wow factor, I guess I'm kind of boring.

• 2 weeks later...
I would live on a cruise ship serving exquisite food, and my job would be to taste everything served and to make menu suggestions which the kitchens/chefs would prepare for my approval.  Job description would be "Cuisine Goddess".  Sigh.

Sounds good to me, but I think I would prefer a luxury hotel in which I have a small suite, including a small, but functional, kitchen, and a cat. Basically, the same job, but in a land locked position! I'd make enough money to travel on my month long vacations!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'd love to operate a small restaurant and change the style of cuisine at my whim. One day, gumbo. The next, Thai curries or larb.

I'd also love to do this in New Orleans, but this isn't a place known for its reception of change.