• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time staging.

mexigaf

Hey guys,

I have a couple of stages scheduled in the up coming weeks and I was wondering a few things.

When you show up for a stage, what are somethings that you should remember to do. I know that ill probably be nervous and forget a few things so I figured I would ask for some pointers. Is there anything I should bring besides my knife case? Do you go in street clothes and just bring a chef jacket?

I know some of these questions are probably redundant to some of you guys but I was hoping that you could help me out.

Oh..and I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to this question

Tia

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

I don't have a lot of experience, but I've been doing an extended stage at one of the nicer restaurants in Chicago for about a month and a half now. I was told to bring my knife kit, but they provided chef's jacket. I think for that, you're best to ask the chef or the sous chef or whomever is helping you out.

The best advice I can give you from my small amount of experience is this:

Keep your mouth shut and your head down. You are there to work, but also to learn. Do not miss any opportunity to soak up every bit of knowledge available in that kitchen, and believe me, there will be a lot of it.

-K

Yeah I was coming here to post exactly that -- head down mouth shut ears open. Not in a dictatorial kind of way, but, you really dont want to do anything besides focus on the task at hand.

Id also say when youre given a task, always ask for a demo of what they want, and/or at the very least get through a few and pull someone and say "hey, does this look right?" -- so in that case you only fuck up one head of frisee, not 50.

Edited by turkeybone (log)

Rico

That being said (about being quiet), don't be afraid to ask questions. Just pick your moments. Obviously, if someone is busy or its during service, etc, don't be asking tons of rapid fire questions. If you are peeling asparagus next to someone who is doing something similar, questions are appropriate. Just use your head.

Work as quickly as you can without compromising quality. No doubt, they would rather you take a little more time and get it right than have to do it over. Show that you care about quality and respect the food. The speed will happen later, and if they know you are new to kitchens, they will forgive your sluggishness (to a point).

Never do nothing. If you have finished your task(s) and no one is available to give you something to do, don't just stand there. Grab a broom, do some dishes, etc. The less work they have to do the more time they will have to show you stuff.

I would also take a uniform with me just in case they don't have one for you. Or at least call and ask.

I agree with what has been said, also dont be to shy, eat dinner with the guys and makeconversation outside the kitchen , go for a drink after work if you can with the guys, you'll be more accepted, but dont get drunk, you got to perform the next day . Like the others said, head down, ears open, observe as much as you can, take a small notebook cause sure you will forget stuff, ask if you can write a recipe down if they give you one out of respect.

I am going to spain to stage at El Poblet and el Celler can Roca in September/October so my main issue is the language barrier, I speak hardly any useful spanish, but I am trying to learn as much as possible,

Good luck with yours.