• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lark or Canlis? Or somewhere else?

Hello!

So, my husband, 8 month old daughter and I will be heading to Seattle to stay with friends, and the husband and I are going to have our first night out since the baby was born - she'll be staying with said friends.

We really want a memorable dinner, and so far have been waffling between Lark and Canlis. Canlis was listed in the Saveur list of top restaurants and I've read a lot of good things about Lark on here. How do the two compare? I know you can't make reservations at Lark, so we would go early in hopes of getting a seat with little waiting time (considering our friends will be watching our little one, I would like to be able to give them a ballpark time frame). Is there a dress code at Lark? Canlis recommends a jacket for men, and that's fine, but if we could get away without one at Lark, it would certainly make our luggage lighter!

The charcuterie and meat dishes at Lark really appeal to me, but some of the desserts at Canlis sound more interesting (while others sound much more ho-hum). The wine list looks more robust at Canlis, as well.

Which would you recommend for a fabulous night out, no holds barred? Or would you recommend something completely different?

No need for a jacket at Lark. Capitol Hill is a casual neighborhood. And if the wait is too long, you're just a few blocks from Spinasse.

I haven't been to Canlis, but I've heard it's more of a traditional fine dining experience.

I haven't been to Lark, but I have been to Canlis several times, and I love the place. Once it was on my birthday (one of the big ones that ends in a zero), and my hosts had arranged to have their gift to me, a set of dishes and some beautiful candle holders, used at the table in place of the usual dishware. They later told me that this was done with complete good grace, no problem at all. Without any prompting from my hosts, our waiter suggested that I let the chef surprise me with my meal, and asked me if I had any dislikes or allergies. It was so long ago I can't quite remember what I was served, but I know that it was all delicious. It was just such special treatment for an ordinary nobody, and we have always been treated very well there.

Also, they did NOT sing Happy Birthday!

Another time it was prom night, and you know that can sometimes be a nightmare. Not at Canlis! Everything went as smoothly as ever, even with a room full of self-conscious teenagers. I'm sure they all felt it was a wonderful experience, too.

Plus, one time I saw Tony Bourdain there. He didn't recognize me, though. :biggrin:

I'm sure Lark is wonderful, but I can really recommend Canlis for a truly special evening.

The wine list at Lark was fairly nice, but probably not as extensive as a larger restaurant like Canlis. I have only been to Lark, in spite of having spent 5 years living within walking distance of Canlis, but I would recommend Lark if you want a very "Seattle" food experience, emphasizing local, seasonal ingredients, clever but not brash combinations of ingredients, and a cozy vibe, where you could feel almost equally comfortable in formal attire as in weeknight clothing. Canlis (keeping in mind that I'm looking from a distance) is more about an old-fashioned fine dining experience, with waiters that anticipate your every need and make the valet has your car is at the door when you're ready to leave. So it really depends on which experience you're going for.

The view at Canlis would certainly be much better, if that's a consideration.

Also, in Lark's favor, even if you need to wait for a table, you could have a very nice cocktail with a little two or three bite thing to nibble on at sibling Licorous next door, or a drink at Cafe Presse across the street. And I still get cravings for Licorous's financiers with espresso caramel sauce.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

The pastry chef is leaving or has recently left Canlis, though they seem to be continuing the revamped menu and his name is still on the website. They've been revamping the kitchen and bar. Hard to know what's happening to the food - you can count on the rest of the experience.

I do stop in at Lark just for dessert sometimes - theirs are more rustic, but delicious.

For food - Lark. The area is so much "nicer" than the strip it was when they opened, but it isn't a view oriented location. The restaurant is inward looking and intimate.

For a wine cellar, excellent service, and view - Canlis.

I've been to Canlis once. I've been to Lark many times. It suits my tastes better (and my wardrobe and bank account.)

You might call ahead, explain your concerns/situation, and ask about wait time - with this economy, most places have little or no wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Lark's food is far better than Canlis's. Canlis has a more formal atmosphere which I don't like, though some do.

For great food in a more elegant atmosphere than Lark -- and also to be able to make reservations -- I suggest Rover's (modern French) or Crush (Northwest / modern American / whatever). Both are fabulous. Rover's is a little more traditional -- but not stuffy -- while Crush is more hip.

Lark's food is far better than Canlis's. Canlis has a more formal atmosphere which I don't like, though some do.

For great food in a more elegant atmosphere than Lark -- and also to be able to make reservations -- I suggest Rover's (modern French) or Crush (Northwest / modern American / whatever). Both are fabulous. Rover's is a little more traditional -- but not stuffy -- while Crush is more hip.

There have been some very favorable reviews of the food at Canlis recently. The kitchen has been shaken up. For what it is worth...

There have been some very favorable reviews of the food at Canlis recently. The kitchen has been shaken up. For what it is worth...

'Tis true. I had dinner at Canlis a couple weeks ago and it was spectacular. Totally different than the staid menu that kept me away for 10 years. Service is still the same. Key is to ask the server to directl you toward the dishes that are in the new chef's style rather than Canlis standbys, which are still scattered throughout.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

'Tis true. I had dinner at Canlis a couple weeks ago and it was spectacular. Totally different than the staid menu that kept me away for 10 years. Service is still the same. Key is to ask the server to directl you toward the dishes that are in the new chef's style rather than Canlis standbys, which are still scattered throughout.

And for a completely different viewpoint, WTF?

And for a completely different viewpoint, WTF?

Perfectly captures the perspective of Canlis regulars on the changes Franey has made. They don't want progress of any kind, they want to be able to always go and get the steak and lobster tail, which I find boring.

That, and I don't think his winter menu was as strong, but it was his first out of the gate, what would anyone expect?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I thought that was a totally ridiculous review. The most befuddling paragraph was

The new offerings from chef Franey are decidedly minimalist in form and reserved in flavor—though it was sometimes hard to tell whether it was by accident or design. Salad-like first courses arrive composed, not tossed: a trio of Hawaiian shrimp, with matching hearts of palm, notable for the briny funk of its fermenting daikon slivers; the inscrutable Kona Kompachi, three demitasse portions of minced yellowfin tuna mounded atop avocado slivers; cubed beets, glossy with olive oil and arranged by color into three piles, tasting exactly like… cubed beets.

Seriously? You couldn't tell if it was by accident or by design? And it sounds like having the salads arrive composed as opposed to tossed was a bad thing. I feel bad for Canlis for having to go through this as they try and become the destination restaurant they could be.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting